Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Ouch! That hurts! Any advice?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, new here. I wonder if anyone has any advice that may help me, as I am currently having a relapse of severe lower back pain from an old injury.
The original injury happened in the summer of 2006. I had been feeling extremely tight in my lower back for several weeks, but I didn't have any pain so I just chalked it up to overwork and ignored it. Well, one fine day as I was finishing up at work, I bent over to pick up a dog toy for one of the pups out of the toy bin, (I worked at a canine training facility.) and when I went to stand up, it felt like someone had literally ripped the muscles right out of my lower back. Luckily for me, there was a dryer on one side of me and a large bathing tub on feet on the other side of me so I was able to grab onto them, otherwise I would have ended up face first in the toy bin. My co-worker helped me to my car, I drove home-husband had to help me out of the car as I couldn't stand up to get out of the car. Doc said it appeared that I tore some muscles since there was no structural damage he could see on the films they took-ordered rest, meds, and therapy, then light duty at work when I returned. Even though the therapy and all helped, ever since then I cannot sit for long periods of time-sitting on the floor with my kids is a big no-no, and at times it just flares up and feels like the muscles are spasming. Fast forwarding to today-my immediate problem is this, 2 weeks ago I had laparoscopic surgery to remove my gallbladder. Spent a week sleeping in the recliner since it was too painful to lie flat or on my sides. (The doc also seems to have left a large amount of air in my abdomen from the sugery, as I still have the shoulder pain from the gas.) about 4 days ago, I was able to go back to bed- but my lower back is spasming, sharp pains are shooting fire down the outsides of my legs and the pain meds are not touching it. My ice pack helps some, but as soon as I take it off and my back warms up, the pain returns. I cannot function like this, I have a household and children to manage, my husband is overseas-so I don't have him to help, and I am supposed to be starting back to college in march at the next mini-mester term. How do I fix this? I can't go around with an ice pack strapped to me 24/7. Is the recurrence caused by the instability in my core from the abdominal surgery? If so, when can I expect the back issues to lessen. (my abs feel fine-the incisions have healed-no lingering soreness there.) Has anyone else ever experienced a flare up in back pain from an unrelated surgery? On a side note-I am 5'4" 125lbs-so it is not a weight issue.
Thanks for reading, I would really appreciate any advice!

advertisement

Comments

• I would call the Surgeon if I were you or at least your family Dr. I was like that before I got my MRI. Good luck and keep us posted. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.