Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fibro question

maddysmommmaddysmom Posts: 137
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Fibromyalgia
Can you have constant pain in only one area (mine is in neck and left shoulder.) I thought Fibro was wide spread pain and fatigue. When I'm stressed, the pain gets much worse. I was in a bad MVA 5 years ago and had severe whiplash. The doctor thinks I've developed arthritis from the injury and that's what is causing the pain. I did have a cervical MRI last year which showed 2 tiny herniations in neck area, but not impinging on anything. The doc also said women carry their stress in their shoulders and right now I'm at a 10 level.

• From what I have read, fibro can start in certain region and then start with the tender points. I can tell you that's that how mine started. It started with severe knee pain on my left knee following surgery. Then I started getting lumps and other pain elsewhere, and then it got to the point where it was ALL over. (By all over, I mean both shoulders, behind my neck, both elbows, hips, and knees. It still primarily is painful all the time in those areas but sometimes it's worse in one tender point than the other side. But every day I have pain no matter what.
  • I have a lot of lumps too. I probably have cervical arthritis from the whiplash injury. My neck was so hyper extended from the accident. Unfortunately, it's only going to progress and get worse with time. It sucks to have an incurable condition.
  • I use a rolling pin to roll those lumps out though, and that helps A LOT, esp. with mobility. When the lumps are there, my muscles feel all scrunched up and tight.
  • If you have as we all who suffer from this hideous syndrome constant relentless pain . read on.. Dr.Edward Bach developed a product called RescueRemedy originally meant for treating shock and life threatening situations,a long time ago from England this product is made from plants ie. impatiens, rock rose , star of bethlehem,it is a liquid comes in a spray can be used like a breath spray or a dropper bottle these versions do have a slight alcohol base for preservative but also comes w/out in a tin like a soft lozenge . This product has saved my life a mere few sprays or drops in a glass of water ordirectly under your tongue and you will feel measurable relief from the tension that chronic pain brings it somehow just takes the edge off and allows your body to remember how to care for itself ,ie like let go of your muscles relax - no side effects ,otc can be found vitamin shoppe type stores or online www.rescueremedy.com tolearn more it is so universal
  • Hiya,I have fibro ,but each day its getting worse. This morning the pain is quite bad. I do know there are tests for fibro that you have, just to make sure it is fibromyalgia. It can attack between 11 and 18 parts of the body, and its so painful. I am sorry to read that some of our members have this, its not a nice illness to have, plus the fatigue can be very bad.

Angie x
  • I'm going to get tested. I don't think I have it, but need to know for sure.

I'm going to try the rolling pin. It sounds like a good idea and makes sense. The muscles in my shoulder feel like bubble wrap.
  • I have fibromyalgia, & mine did start in my shoulders. I for a while couldn't even drive my car because I couldn't turn my head. My neck & shoulders were so painful & thank God I was diagnosed not long after that.

Good luck to you.

• hey ~ not to be offensive but i *think* a level 10 is more like screaming on the battlefield full of shrappnel. you wouldn't be *able* to type your message if you were a lvl 10. be careful using that *level* with doctors...or you won't appear credible. they see unreal pain. (not that yours isn't)

best of luck to you.
  • Pain scales are stupid! Everyone is different. If you can't ever be a ten then it should not GO to ten! Sorry...I hate the pain scale bullcrap!
    I HAVE been at a ten, in a heap on the bathroom floor wishing I would just pass out so I can stop feeling it! No doctor seems to care that I go through this. Any doctor who bases anything on a pain scale is not even credible in my book.
  • pain scales are stupid...and yes, i've been on the bathroom floor praying for instant death. when asked what my pain level is by various doctors, i first ask them what level of pain they think and earache or toothache is...then i answer based on their response.

but a toothache is isolated. it's not all over their bodies...so they don't "get it".

sorry to offend...i was just pointing out how doc's think.

best regards,
  • I agree, no Dr. I have ever been to believes that unless u have just had surgery!!! So I just tell them how it hurts and hope. I have been diagnosed with Fibro, on March 25th going to have TILF with instrument, and my cervical fusion will follow 3-6 months later so don't feel bad!! Good Luck to us all suffering. Kellie
  • Does anyone experience chest pain with fibromyalgia???? would appreciate any input! Thankyou in advance!

Angie xx