Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
My sweet and short story: Found out I had scoliosis when I was 13. Wore Milwaukee Brace for 2 years. Horrible for this shy 9th grade girl. My parents gave up fighting me about it in 11th grade. In my early 20's I began having back pain...had Herrington Rod at 25 years old. Lower fusion didn't take and I had rod removed at 26 years old. One year of horrible pain. Back pain off and on until I was about 30 years old. Since then (I'm 51 now) every year got worse as far as pain. Living on 4-6 Advil a day but still couldn't go to mall, sit at my desk at work, etc. for long because of pain. Now I find out my spine is narrowing, I have degenerative disc disease and am having fusion of L1-S1 on March 16. I'm scared, anxious, nervous, yet...hoping I will be pain free and living a quality of life like I have never had. The surgery in 1983 was a tough one...lots of pain. On pain pills for a solid year and a half. Of course I've been on Norco now since August and that bothers me. Just hoping I will do good and heal correctly. I look forward to reading your stories about survival. =D> LOL

• Welcome, you have found a great site. Lots of understanding people to share with and get your fustration out if you need to just vent.
    I have L4-S1 fusion surgery scheduled March 24. I sure understand the scared, anxious & nervous plus the hoping for pain free and quality of life. I had a one level cervical fusion last year, it went well.
    PM anytime if you would like to, we can compare emotions as we get closer to our surgeries.
    Take care,
  • Oh Stacey! I'm so glad to hear from you! I'm not alone! >:D< And our surgeries are so close (in date) and similar. I already feel better. Did the doc tell you anything about your "intimate" life being different because of the S1 fusion? He said I would be "tilted" different and would need to come up with different "ways". Should be the least of my worries, huh? I'm having XLIF and ALIF. Gosh, it's still all new to me although I'm doing research on Internet. I never expected to find a "friend" so early on. What does PM mean? LOL
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. i wore braces on my legs till i was about 12, i had polio, and then ruptured two discs in my back at 15. ~X( i know of the difficulties and loneliness that comes with pain at an early age.. :''( you have come to a great place to make new friends who feel just as you do!! :D check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for more input on your upcoming surgery! good luck as you seek pain relief! Jenny :)
  • hiya! first i want to say that you are definitely not alone, and you are also not alone in feeling alone :) unitl i found this site, i was feeling very alone and confused and anxiety-ridden which, we all know, doesn't help the pain we already experience! i'm going for a 3rd opinion next monday but i suspect that shortly thereafter i'm going to be scheduling my ALIF surgery with my neuro...from what he shared with me its a relatively new procedure, one of the least invasive (is ur doc going in through your belly or the back?), and an expectedly short recovery time (though he did warn me that some patients have residual pain for 3-4 months post-op). i'm not sure about any "intimacy" details (a question i will be asking!) though i will share that my intimate life is very limited presently because i'm always in such pain and discomfort :( can you explain a little about the XLIF? what it is and where its done and why?
    blessings and luck to you!
    keep the faith, keep the hope, keep the love <3
  • Thanks for your words Faith...I do appreicate them. From what I understand...with the XLIF the doc goes through the side and the ALIF goes through the front. Yes, I'm having 2 surgeries. He did say that both are noninvasive which makes me feel better about it since my whole entire back was opened up from neck to a little lower than the waist for my Herrington Rod. I put what my doc wrote below. Have googled all of it. I'm having them because my spine is narrowing (which he says won't get any better) and I have degenerative disc disease. Anyway, thanks so much for writing me back. I just love reading what everyone writes. My friends and family try to be supportive but of course they can't relate to my pain or my upcoming surgery...they just listen. The people here really do know and I find comfort in that.

Stage 1:
    L1-S1 PSF/I (Depuy Monarch); Osteotomy L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1; placement of antibiotic beads

Stage 2:
    ALIF (Synthes) with Dr. Walkes, Bhatia or Blackmon at L5-S1, XLIF L2-3, L3-4, L4-5 (Nuvasive)
    PSF/I L1-Pelvis (Monarch)

Blessings to you and thanks for sharing!

• Thanks Jenny. It seems like I've always dealt with some kind of pain ever since I was like 10. Just the burden I have to bear I guess. I will check out the other forum...thanks for writing me. I do appreciate it! :X
  • I hope that you have a very successful surgery. It really seems that you deserve it. I wish you much luck and please keep us posted.