Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to work

snapdragonssnapdragon Posts: 58
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I started back to work this week, it was not pretty. I guess I should have requested my doctor put me back part time to start, 8 hours in front of a computer was agony. I ended up going home early Thursday, and stayed home Friday.

I had my last PT appointment on Thursday, my therapist could tell I was about to lose it. She tried to explain that starting back to work would be rough, I'll need to get my body used to it again. She likened it to training on a bike, you wouldn't get on the bike and expect to be able to ride up a mountain the first day.

It's very frustrating, especially when my manager doesn't seem to think my surgery was any big deal. She acts like I had a tooth pulled.

Oh well. I just needed to vent.

• Hi snap, btw thanks for your input on my steroid question... been googling all night and can't find any reliable info on how long i may feel better on the orals... but anyway... poor you, your pt is right though, gonna have to build your strength up gradually. Have your boss check out this website!!! maybe they'll be more sensitve (one can only hope!)

How long ago was your op?? I'm being told if i have the op, that i'll be back to work in 3 to 4 weeks... i wonder how realistic that is!
    Hang in there!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • Snapdragon i'm so sorry that you went back to work full time like that.I can't imagine how you must have felt by the end of the week.I had three level fusion and have been doing therapy for eight months now and i'm still not back to work yet.not sure what i will even be able to do.i hope that your feeling better soon.just be honest with your boss and tell him that you thought you could do the full time but your body just isn't ready yet and see's if you can work out an easier schedule for you that won't put you in such pain.i'm surprised that your surgeon ok'd it for you to go back to work so soon after your operation. well good luck to you.
  • Surgery was on October 27. I only had 8 PT sessions, which ended last week. I guess my insurance wouldn't cover more. I'm going to see if my manager will agree to me working at home part time, and at the office the rest. I somehow doubt it, I don't have much faith or trust in her any more. Good thing I'm planning on retiring early next year :D
  • I hope you get to work at home sometimes. Does you Boss you're retiring next year. Can you take frequent breaks to get up and walk around? Good luck I hope you can manage working. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Nope, boss doesn't know my plans. I'm snarky enough that I may not tell her until the final couple of weeks. Lots of bad history with this job....