Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical 5 & 6 ACDF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am having cervical 5 & 6 ACDF surgery on January 16, 2009. I am terrified and feel like I have been left in the dark. My Doctor expalined the surgery to me but nothing about post-op recovery. How long will I need help? Is it a really painfull recovery? Any tips wouldbe great. Thanks for everyones help!

• I understand how scary it is, but many people, like myself, found the anticipation to be worse than the actual surgery. I had a 3-level ACDF and I'm glad I did. I'd do it again if I had to. Recovery is long and slow, but it's really not too awful.

I had my mom-in-law with me for 3 weeks after surgery, but 2 would've been sufficient. It would be great if you could line up someone to help you for a week or two.

My recovery wasn't too painful. You might experience some swallowing problems, but that seems to vary greatly from one person to the next. I didn't have a problem with it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want to talk/vent.

• How do you know what level? My doctor said nothing to me about that. I do know I will have hardware and a plate.
  • Kim,
    I'm confused. Have you already had surgery or are you having surgery? It says having surgery on January 16th and I think it is February, but then i use some a lot of pain meds as well. Your levels will be C5-C6 as you posted. Which means you will be having a one level fusion. One as in, one disc between those vertabre. For myself I was single so after surgery I returned home by myself and managed. Since I was hardly functioning prior to surgery it was a welcome relief. Will you be using allograft or autograft. I used autograft(my bone) and the hip incision was quit a bit more painful than the neck incision. On my first surgery there was no difficulties in swallowing either. Felt more like a minor sore throat is all. Good luck and keep us posted. If I can help you in anyway don't hesitate to pm me.
  • I am sorry, I meant February 16. I am not using my own graft. I have been reading alot of useful information on this site but I realized my doctor told me nothing! Thank you so much for your all your help!