Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Set of Chat Room Problems

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
This is the third day in a row, I have received Private Messages with complaints about improper behavior in the Chat rooms.

We are going through the messages logs and so far, the complaints are true.

More reviewing will be done, and what I find is the same as I have already seen, there is enough violation of Forum rules going on that a few members will be banned. It doesnt matter if the member is new or has been with Spine-Health for years.

Intentionally violation of Forum rules will not be tolerated.

It is very sad that a hand ful of people really only want to go out and destroy the chat room. At this point, we might just close down chat.

It is senseless to keep chat rooms open if they are only going to be misused or trashed by a few members.

I would like to see the guilty parties own up to their involvement and apologize for their behavior.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Sir, i am VERY new at chat here, there, and anywhere I have only chatted here and am unaware of formats, rules regulations, i may have had to read something however i neglected to do so. if i violated rules my apologies! I hope u don't shut chat down! I have been on 3 times and it is awesome to me to have people that can listen and care and be able to be silly and laugh and help me forget my pain!!!! Sometimes it's the sunshine i see in a joke or being silly that outshines the rain. I appreciate ur reconsideration and hope u could one by one speak and warn before u shut out the little sunshine i gotten in these past times chatting! Thank u!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    Several months ago we had trouble in the Chat rooms. That was because an individual felt they had the authority and power to dictate who could come into chat and who would be left on the outside. That was dealt with and there have not been any Chat problems until this past weekend.

This time, its not the control of the Chat rooms, but instead, it is long time SH members believing that can say anything what they want, vulgar or not to anyone they please. Clear violations of Forum Rules.

This like the other Chat room problem will be dealt with. Warnings will be coming out and if those warnings are ignored, we will take the next step in Banning.

If that has no impact and doenst change things, we will have to take more drastic measures.

We want to keep the chat room open, but right now we have people who will not log in because of the recent problems and instead have moved over to Yahoo, AOL or AIM to do their chatting.
  • If i have offended anyone in any way i opolagize.
    Ron, If I'm an offender please give me a message
    and i will apolagize directly to that person.
    I love the chat room it helps me so much, and i
    try to help ppl in any way i can.

Sometime I see that it can get a little bit carried
    away in there, and I love to have fun, it helps me
    forget the pain for even just a minute or two.
    I like to see how others cope because it is so
    hard for me to. I read the forum, but it's not like
    real time discussion. I have had some fascinating
    discussions and have leared a lot. hope my ego
    has not got the best of me. I would hope that this warning
    will calm things down, I will try to be on my best behavior from now on. please forgive my spelling too failed that
    in 2nd grade and never caught up lol.

respectfuly yours,
    the CHAT room to be a place we every member can just go to and unwind and for the time there forget their medical problems. CHAT room is , or I should say a Safe haven for us to get away to.
    Knowing that, we fully understand that their is going to be some fun, some silliness. Gosh I remember 2 years back in CHAT room every night around 10:00pmest and we had about 15 people there and we had tons a fun.
    Its just when that fun or any other action is directed towards another member OR if the fun starts to become totally inappropriate is when we have to step in.

Its not secret that we do not monitor the CHAT rooms. We dont WANT to, and if things ran fine we would NEVER HAVE to.

By tomorrow morning, I will have my warnings set out to the appropriate members
  • Ron but it was all in good fun everyone in the room was involved .....yes we do a ton of joking and flirting .but without this outlet .you would be taking away tons of pain free minutes of our life.
    there are days when chat is all medical talk most of the time is.more like old friends joking around with each other.we are all adults and we will adhear to your rules .
    But I have never known of any set of rules,except for the rule of never any name calling.

I thought chat was our escape room to let of steam.
    some days we laugh our heads off and other days we flirt like high school kids....but we NEVER hurt anybody intentionally NEVER !

So if this is what you mean buy a violation yup.I'm guilty.
    Sorry I didn't mean to ever hurt anybodies feelings and if I did i was totally unaware of this.
    Maybe you should repost the chat rule so we can all read them and agree to them.

Thank you Ron sorry if there was anybody hurt by my actions in chat.

What needed to be done is done. I got feedback about CHAT the past day or so and it has returned to the friendly atmosphere it should be.
    As you can tell by reading some of these posts and I know from all the messages I have been getting, that the Spine-Health CHAT room is so very important to everyone here. It was to the point where some folks were apologizing IF they did anything.

Forum monitoring can be challenging at times, especially when you have a world wide audience. I've done this for other sites and working at my job. Those technical arenas are pretty much black and white. You step one way to the left when it should have been to the right and you are in trouble.

That we dont need here or even want it. Everyone including myself and the moderator team are spinal patients. We've all had our share of medical problems, some in the past, many still battling problems. Chronic pain takes its toll on everyone. So, you might say, we turn our heads when a forum topic goes slightly off. There are bad hurting days when I am sure we are mad at the entire world. Those days, we may either be more aggressive or more sensitive.

CHAT is even harder. Ever since the initial AOL rooms were setup, Instant messaging took its hold. The real time interaction is great and is another way to get to know a member that you have been posting back and forth with.

The the CHAT room is almost like a Bar. People come in, some sit in the corner, some form one group, another group was already there, etc. So you maybe 20 people in one spot, but they are really connected. One group may not care to here what the other group is saying, etc. Take
    this into our CHAT room. There are going to be groups that come together maybe on a scheduled time... Thats great.
    Then we have some new person come in, feels lost and doesn't know what to do. They say a Hello?, some people will respond, some dont. Fitting into that right shoe initially is hard to do. We have multiple chat rooms, but for the most part, people use the default room.

Bottom line, lets all do what we can to make sure that the chat environment is something good for everyone

Thank you
  • I go away for a few days and everything falls apart!

I'm glad the Mod Squad is leaving chat where it is for now. I've gone in once or twice, but didn't stay long (no more than a few minutes). I would love to come and chat with some of you in "real time". Maybe one day I'll make it.

Kudos to everyone for working out the problems!

Many times, I just turn my back and things happen here that should never happen
    But since they do, we all have to make the best of them.

Jeaux, not to be a person for details, BUT what keys are you hitting at the keyboard in your avatar?
  • Well, it's actually an animated avatar. If I knew how to animate it, you would see my little caricature typing and typing and typing so much I become a bloody mess because of banking my head against it due to ERROR NOTIFICATIONS!

I think.

• fear of being banned is keeping us from expressing ourselves now...how is this possible????

just a few thoughts...i want my friends to be able to be themselves again...people may not always like what we are talking about, but there are always different rooms to go to arent there?

• chat room has changed and definately has a different feeling in there.... I agree with you Dawn and us adults should be able to sort out the issues in the room....Humour is what keeps alot of us going