Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain medication question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Medications
How often can doctors prescribe pain medication? I have severe tailbone pain and went to my doc a month ago (regular GP not an ortho). She prescribed Norco (which I had never taken before), x-rays and wanted to see me back in 2 weeks. The x-rays showed nothing and when I went back in 2 weeks the pain was worse and more frequent. She ordered an MRI (I still don't have the results) and more Norco. I am going back to see her in a few days and my pain is no better, not worse this time though, thank goodness. Anyway, I am almost out of pain medication (I have only taken it when I REALLY needed it). I am going back to see her in 2 days and I am wondering if there is a guideline that all doctors have to follow when prescribing pain medication. In other words, can she refill it for me again? It's probably up to the doc case by case basis kind of thing but I was just hoping there was someone out there with a similar story. I don't want to seem like a drug seeker (one of my relatives had a problem with prescription medication about 15 years ago so I am sensitive to sounding like that) but I have three kids so I have to be running around a lot and this is the only medication that seems to help. I had tried Advil, Tylenol, Aleve, etc. before even going to the doctor. I guess my next step is an ortho doc.

I know I can't take pain meds forever and I don't WANT to. I want this pain GONE, not managed. Any advice about talking to her about this and NOT sounding like a drug seeker would be very helpful. I know there are people on here with chronic pain so if you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.

• Hi Graysayhk, I can't tell you if your doctor will refill the Norco and I understand how frustrating this is for you. More than likely the doctor will base the decision on the MRI results and move from there. What dose are you on and how often do you take it? I hope the cause of your tailbone pain is found so that you get the proper treatment. Hang in there, and let us know how your appt. goes. Take care
  • Hello my name is terry. I recently stopped taking my meds. I am perscribed 120 80mg oxycontins, I recently stopped taking them casue my pain has subsided recently cause my back was fused. I am now trying to find someone that is in pain and needs help locating MEDS or DOCTORS. I am trying to use my life experinces and knowlage to help someone deal with everyday living with pain. Pain consumed my life and my family time and it was a very bad thing to happen. I missed very memorable timesin my childs life cause it was consumed by pain. No one should experince this and now i want to help, email me:

• graysayhk,

If your only taking it when needed and you are running out early the script may need to be increased or the medication changed. Say the Norco is written 3 times daily as needed, the doctor might increase to 4 times daily as needed. It sounds as if you are receiving a 30 day supply? You need to be upfront and honest with the doctor. The truth never changes.

There is the possibility, not knowing the specifics of your case, the pain may never be gone. Please get that thought out of your mind if you answer a question and your pain becomes chronic (Lasting more than 6 months I believe is now how it's defined in the new medical text, opposed to the old 3 month guideline) the psychological testing that MAY accompany your treatment will ask you to list this very subject and list them in order. Do you expect though treatment to totally rid yourself of pain? ANY doctor will question a YES answer, meaning you may be asking for something they cannot provide. You will also be asked to prioritise your expectations in relation to your pain. Getting your pain under control and managed to the point of returning to a better quality of life and normal activities is the most important issue you face. This is only MY opinion but how you should answer the question should it arise.

I'm still traveling the road you traveled. I hope you have many takers on your offer. I thought I was a chronic pain patient and now find I may be an Intractable pain patient with the majority of my joints affected. Surgeries too many to count, Psychological testing, various pharmacological trials (medications) and all the various holistic treatments have rendered themselves, for the most part useless.

A drug addict uses to escape life; a pain patient uses to live life to it's fullest. The trick is finding a doctor to differentiate who is who.