Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Guess I'm really gonna have to do this??

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Stop Smoking
Hi all,

I'm a 30 ciggie a day smoker... smoked for 25 years... have tried to quit about 4 times (once cold turkery, twice on patches, and once with champix) have to admit the champix was working but around the day i was to "quit", all hell broke loose in my personal life... even my friends said just leave it a few more days then quit.. problem was that each day turned out a bit more drama and there never was a "good day" to quit. So... finally quit taking the champix - a true sign of giving up and motivation that had abandoned me. Then my neck went out... home off work... bored... pain (you all know the drill!) and smoking has shot through the roof... smoking more than normal just out of absentmindedness, boredom, and some delusional sense that it's helping me cope with the pain!

So present day... bouncing around this site to help manage my anxieties and prepping for dual level cervical fusion on 24th Feb... and I LEARN SMOKING INTERFERES WITH FUSIONS!!! As if all my other anxieties weren't bad enough lol!! Now i get to add all the anxieties that go with letting go of my little white addictive buddy!! To say good bye to a "friend" of 25 years!! (mello dramatic or what lol! but its all addictive rationalizations....)

So... after i type this post... i'm ringing doc to have him post me a new script for champix... and start all over with quitting... and be off the darn lil things before i go in for op!! If i was scared before (of op!) i'm like shaking in my boots now! But... i thought writing this may be a way of crystalizing this for me, of committing myself, and of making myself accountable!

Cheer me on!!! I'm typically one of those stubborn people.. the more somebody TELLS me to quit... the more i dig in my heels and DON'T, but... guess I'm really gonna have to do this...

Shakin already!
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I wish you the best of luck. I've been thinking about trying Chantix myself. Just haven't set my mind to it....excuses, excuses. I've been a smoker for at least 25 years. It is hard to let go. I've never tried so it must be. lol. I'm like you in that the more people have told me to quit, the more I smoked. I hope you can quit now though, you have a lot depending on it. I've read that it makes all the difference in fusions. I'd better start thinking about it too since I'll probably go down that road if all conservate measures fail. Best of Luck. Keep us posted.
  • I can't imagine trying to quit while you are in pain, but it really will be better if you do. I know a lot of doctors won't even operate until you give up the smokes. The risk is just too high of having a non-union. Hopefully the upcoming fusion surgery will give you the will-power needed to beat it. By the way, my brother was a heavy smoker for almost 20 years. He used chantix and during the first month on it he still had 1-2 ciggies a day, but 2nd month he was able to completely give it up. He has been smoke free for over a year. So this chantix med really does help.

Good luck, and I'm sorry you need surgery.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • listen Diamonde you can its really possible I smoked like you 28 years and one day i knoew it was time thats the key you have to want to do this or all is in vain.I also know how important not smoking is for that operation and my heart and prayer go out to you.I going to pray that the lord gives you the deseire to quit that the lightbulb goes off for you its really time to for you lungs.I tell you once yur mind is made up for real now no messing around I quit with a pack so I know how hard it is.I use to quit for a year seriously a full year to show i could do it but i always knew in the back of my mind i was going back to smoking for me i had to actually say no smoking forever not in a year not in 2,3 years but forever. You will cougn feels like a lung coming up heheh its not and your taste buds will explode you will taste things again and you will smell what ever body else does when a smioker walks up standing in line a store I mean its wow we smelled like that couldnt smell ourselves and taste again oh come on no way that to and feel better cause blood is going where it needs in a hurry hehe.DIAMONDE YOU CAN DO THIS YOU HAVE TO WANT THIS IN YOURSELF AND I BELIEVE YOU CAN PLEASE TELL ME YOU WANT THIS WHOLE HEART MIND SOUL NO LITTLE BITTY PART OF YOUR MIND HOLD OUT THAT AFTER SURGERY I CAN HAVE A LILLTE SMOKE NO NO NO NO. 100% of your being has to want this and the rest will follow best of luck Diamonde I know you can do this ;))
  • Thank you so much for your supportive comments.... I've rang the chemist and they've reactivated my champix script, and my daughter is picking it up now. Soooo first dose is coming! I'm just going to have to stay motivated... This is one of those things where if i don't strike while the iron is hot... I won't!! So trying to keep the momentum up.... EGADS am i really doing this!! lol! I know I want my life back post op, and to do that I have to recover well... and that means the cigs got to go.... I'm just going to HAVE to KEEP telling myself that! As some ofyou said... don't want to go through all this for nothing!!

Thanks again for your encouragement! Gonna find a way to stay positive...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    to help stop smoking is spend a day with someone who has COPD.
    Understanding their daily challenges can really make an impact on you ability/decision/willingness to stop smoking.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I hope this works for you. Wellbutrin has also been used to take away the cravings also. Good luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Girl, I know exactaly how you feel. The more I'm told I HAVE to quit smoking the more I want a cigarette.
    I found out in October that I have an Aneurysm in my brain. My neuro doc told me if I don't quit smoking and the aneurysm starts leaking again they won't be able to stop it. I still haven't been able to quit.
    Now they are talking about doing a multi-level fusion in my neck and I need to quit for that as well. It's so hard to give up my one "vice". I know it will kill me but---. I hope you are able to quit, me too for that matter.

Good Luck to you,
  • Hi Sabrina,

If it isn't one thing its another!! I have started taking my champix... on day 3 and am trying to pick my day to quit. I'm not thinking about it as quitting... i'm thinking about it as doing everything i can to fuse, recover, and please God, not to be a repeat surgery candidate. As long as i look at it that way.... it's giving me the motivation to quit! If you ask me do i want to quit? NOOOOOOOO; but if you ask me do i want to recover well... the answer is YES. DOn't know if my logic will help you.. but maybe it will!

Thanks and good luck!
  • Hi, just wondering how you are doing with your quitting smoking and how your surgery went. I'm still trying work up the strength to quit myself. I'm going to see the doc this week to see if I can get welbutrin or something similar to take. I did some research on the champix and found that it can aggrivate the depression I already suffer from and don't want to make that worse. So hopefully the welbutrin will help me. Hope you are doing well with your quitting and recovering well from surgery.

• Just thought that I would check in with you.I hope things are going good and that you are staying strong!

My mom quit smoking Oct 24th 2004-not for any reason though-she simply wanted to quit.She used the patch for a month,saved the old ones (lol) and reused them for the placebo effect and it worked.She also went to a support group for awhile-not too long.

Feb 14th 2008 she was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer,after not even being sick,and I lost her July 8th of the same year.But she was so proud of herself for having quit smoking.I told her almost every day how proud I was of her...but you know the truth is I was mad as hell when the cancer got her after she quit.

I still smoke & I should quit too.I think about quitting every single time I light one up.

I honestly do wish you the strength to commit ☺
  • Hi Robin,

well... i'm on my champix, and it helps with the urges; but.... still smoking!! I've reduced my cig intake by over 60% so thats good! Just haven't been able to put a stop to it... YET!! I'm not giving up, i'm just trying to reduce a bit each day; and exactly like you... i think with every single cig i do smoke... I shouldn't have this... so i'm a work in progress, but going in the right direction!
  • That's what I need to do...with smoking and weight..lol.Well,maybe 60% weight reduction would put me in hospital or make me invisible woman.Math skills are off.10% would be a good start though.

When you say champix,is it a knock off on chantix? Or is it something new? My bestfriend & her husband used the chantix,they were both pretty heavy smokers,and they both quit smoking on the same day! It's been well over a year and they are still smoke free.Funny thing-she didn't even WANT to quit,was just sick of paying for cigarettes.

Well-I decided to get it too and my insurance paid for it other than co-pay.I know it's expensive-but I was afraid to use it-afraid it would work--how sick is that!

I will say though be careful of other side effects.There are lawsuits against the pharmecutical company that sells chantix.Of course what's new about that.Sometimes I don't know if it's these drugs that cause problems,or the people that want to blame someone or something for their own behaviour.My friend did go gambling right after though-lol,and bought a brand new camero :))(

• Well I know my Grandma smokes and she has had a lot of back surgery. Myself I smoke also and have back problems. I smoke 2 packs a day and drink beer a lot to help with the back pain and my drama filled life and I am also addicted to these things. I might try that drug you mentioned. It's the cravings that keep me smoking, if it were not for the cravings I would have quit a long time ago. It's too expensive for me really and not good for my health. I know.
    I can't seem to quit on my own so I am going to need a pill and I don't do well with pills but I need something to help me. I do cheer you on and hope those pills work for you.
    I know what it's like I smoke to. And I should not smoke with my health problems and bone loss but I do. I wish you the best and good luck to you.