Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have a myelogram cause lasting problems??

sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Spinal Injections
Hi. I had a myelogram done three weeks ago today. I had it done on my cervical spine. When the dye was first injected it caused my lower back to throb...really low next to and down into my butt. (No other way for me to say it) I was not having any problems in that area. I told the doctor who was doing it that it hurt there and he said that the dye was causing it. Well, last week, I went to my neurosurgeon for the results (whole 'nother story) and asked her about my back. She said sometimes the dye irritates the nerves and it takes them a while to settle down. Just how long do you think it should take?? It hurts when I'm walking, it hurts if I sit awhile. It just aches down into my butt and hips. Have any of you had any experience with this or any suggestions? Also, can nerve damage be done during this procedure and if so how long will it last? Debbie

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Has anyone else had any problems like this? I was riding in the car for about 1 1/2 hrs. today and it hurt me terribly just sitting there.
    Well, it's been four weeks today. I'm still having pain and today my legs started hurting and shaking after going for a walk. Now as I sit here, my lower back aches. Anyone have ideas or suggestions. Today I had the phone in my hand ready to call my dr. but thought what's the use?
  • I just called the Dr who did my Myelogram because we talked alot about the headache but NEVER did he mention the back pain that I would have. It hurts all the way down my back and into my leg all the way to my feet. I'd like to know if any of you have found any resolution to your pain as I don't expect an answer from this doctor today since it's Saturday. Other than this the Myelogram went quite well.
    When did you have the myelogram? I'm sorry you're suffering with this too. It's been about seven weeks since I had mine and I'm in terrible pain today still. It feels like I have a vice around my lower back and hips and my legs get so weak and trembly I can't stand or walk for very long. Please if you or anyone can help let me know. I don't think I can take much more of this. My doctors can't agree on what to do so I just suffer and wait.
  • I'm here also to get answers on why I'm having alot of pain after having a myelogram. It's been 2 years since I've had it done and I still can't walk long distances or stand long. Besides this, I've lost my job of 23 years, because I can't preform my job duties anymore. :<
  • I had a myelogram in June this year. I am still having pain in lower back and down left leg all the way to my foot at times. I've talked to my doctor about it but he says since my original injury was my neck and it is a wc case it would be hard to prove to them that it was the myelogram that is causing this pain. I can't wait to get out of wc and be able to make my own decissions about my care. I also had a spinal fluid leak after the myelogram and had a blood patch performed to stop it. I wish knew what to do to convince the dr to check this out. Any suggestions?

I know exactly how you're feeling. I'm still having the same problems and the myelogram was in Jan. My GP did agree with me that something went wrong during the test and finally ordered a lumbar mri. They said it only showed tarlov cysts in my sacral spinal canal but they say they don't cause pain. After that he more or less acted like I'm crazy and gave up on trying to find out what's wrong. I haven't been to him or another doctor since August because I was only getting the run around. It makes me so mad knowing that is what caused this and no one cares or will try to find a solution to it. I guess one good thing is it distracts me from my cervical pain sometimes anyway. (real funny eh?) I hope you can find someone to help you. They did say the dye may have irritated some nerves. I don't know how long it'll take them to calm down. My nerves must be really peeved!
    Good luck,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    in the past (1974-1982) The fist set were the type where you could not put your head down.. You had to keep your head up or you would get terrible headaches..
    The other sets were the type you have to keep your head up.. If you put your head down you would get those terrible headaches.
    Why the difference ? I dont know. But I never had problems after any of those tests.
    But Debbie, I have heard some horror stories about people who have had the myleogram and had problems afterward. It was almost a case of a spinal leak.
    I wish I could provide you with some more info, but thats all I have for now
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I know what you mean about it distracting from the neck pain,shoulders and arms..it sucks! I did do some research though and the dye can irritate the nerves and cause something called "arachnoiditis" I don't know if it is this or not that is casing the pain but after reading about it it sure sounds like it could be. I know about that awful headache after having the myelogram the spinal fluid leak caused. My dr is a 3 hr drive by the te I got home I thought my head was going to explode. That was on a Monday by Thursday I could not move. I kept reading the discharge instructions thinking there would be something in them telling me to call in case of headache but there was't so I thought it was coming from my neck. Anyway my brother in law is a dr he called Thursday to check on me and said "call the dr right now you have a spinal fluid leak" I took his advise and the next morning I had to go back to the hospital 3 hrs away for the blood patch!
    I wish I could help you. I know how frustrating this is.
    How is your neck doing now? I hope that at least is better?
    If you'd like to discuss this more feel free to pm me anytime. I know that this isn't a common occurance after a myelogram. Most people have no problems other than the headaches. That's bad enough!

• I have had one of those. No problems with the dye. However he got half way through injecting the fluid and I thought my head would explode. He moved the table around and then finished. I was yelling at him enough was enough.

2 days later I am in the hospital for a blood patch. I have never had a headache like that in my life. When the neurosurgeon looked at the results. He say" very uninteresting, oh well...". That was 2 doctors fired the same week.

I will not volunteer to do one of those again. It showed and proved nothing to get my L5/S1 disc issue resolved.

That test is way too easy for the anesthesiologist to stab you in the spine. The hospital ER folks were not surprised in the least when I came into ER complaining of a headache driven by a freight train. They immediately called down doc to do a blood patch.

• Hi, I had a myelogram yesterday for a T7-8 problem. The dr. doing it hit either a nerve or the cord. I jumped 2 ft. off the table with the needle still in my back. She screamed for me to get back down on the table but it was like a lightning bolt going down my inner left leg from my groin to toe. Has this ever happened to anyone else? They let me go home about 4 hrs afterwards. And yes, I also had a killer headache while it was being done. I truly thought my head was going to explode when they tipped the table.
    I have had some really strange nerve stuff going on in my back and legs overnight. Is this normal? Thank you for info.

PS. the headache is only very mild this morning.
    I hope you're feeling better. I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. Is your headache better?

• Hi all,
    I had a myelogram 12/15. The test went OK. I felt the dye go in and a strange feeling in my right leg and foot but otherwise no big deal. Went home and laid down until the next day. Then the headaches started. Yesterday every time I was up for more than 15 minutes my head felt as if it would pop off my neck. So now today same same. My doc has ordered bed rest until saterday. I thought my back could hurt until this type of headache. I dislike laying down doing nothing more than anything, but what can you do. I pray there are no other side effects and all of you get past yours quickly.
    God Bless,
  • AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
    edited 06/16/2016 - 12:19 PM
    To Debbie and all here,

I noticed your md said tarlov cysts are not painful...this is true most of, but certainly not all the time especially if the cysyt is compressing a nerve/filling with fluid. 

On another note it was shown on my recent MRI I have a tarlov on S2 which is causing me classic symptomatic tarlov pain. When I saw a neuro surgeon toady he suggested I have myelogram as he thinks I may not have a tarlov cyst but an epidurmoid growth...problem is I had some recent (3 & 4 wks ago) lumbar cortisone epidurals that went wrong (wet tap, hemtoma etc) which left me in much worse pain that I had before and I'm worried about getting another injection/myelogram especially after what I've read here! Since I already have two brand new MRIs, one of the lumbar and one of sacral spine do I really need the myelo, does it really show that much more? I will need surery to remove the growth or even if its a tarlov however and I believe the surgeon wants more info before we move toward surgery but I 'm just not sold the myelo will give that much more info...anyone here know? All comments are most welcome.

Thanks so much

Hi and welcome to Spine Health.
    I'm sorry you're having these problems. I can see why you hesitate to have the myelogram after the problems with the epidurals. That's how I've felt since the myelogram. Most people who have myelograms have no problem with them. I do think a myelogram shows a lot more than an MRI. I'm sure others here who've had myelograms will share their stories with you. Don't let my experience put you off having one because I realize that all test procedures have risks and sometimes things just happen. I am going to see another NS soon for my cervical problems and after that I hope to ask him about my lbp, tarlov cysts. I know that he may recommend a myelogram on my lumbar spine and I'll be honest with you I don't know if I'd do it. Still, if it's the only way to find out what's causing the pain what else can you do? Just try to find out all you can about the test and the risks. Good luck whatever you do.

• Hi and thanks.

The MRI clearly shows the cysts/growths at S2 and its either a tarlov or epidurmoid growth depending upon the md that looks at it. I am sending my MRI discs to Dr Feignenbaum in Kansas City who specializes in tarlov's for his opinion.

Couple of questions:

Isn't there any other type of newer testing that can be done other than the myelogram, as I understand they have been around for many years? See below.

Would my new (post epidural mri) have shown if I have (God for bid)arachnoiditis?

Thanks all.

A myelogram (my-low-gram) is an older test that is used to examine the spinal canal and spinal cord. This test requires a special X-ray dye to be injected into your spine by a doctor. This is done by inserting a small needle in the lower back and into the spinal canal. When the myelogram is taken, the dye outlines the spinal cord and nerve roots so that disc and bone problems can be seen.

To conduct the myelogram, the patient lies on a tilting table. As the table tilts, X-rays are taken to show the flow of the dye through the spinal region, helping doctors look for problems that may be due to a herniated or bulging disc, lesions, tumors, or injury. The myelogram is often combined with a CAT scan to get a better view of the spine in cross section. In many cases, the MRI has replaced both the myelogram and the CAT scan. Sometimes the myelogram still shows the problem better than the MRI, but today it is used less frequently than the MRI.

• I had the same problem about three weeks ago due to a cevical myelogram. I believe that the Dr. that did this got into the wrong area. I told him to stop because of the horrible pain and he just kept on with the procedure. I was crying when they took me for the CT and my right arm was shaking uncontrolaby. When they took me back up to the floor to recover the nurse asked what was wrong and I told her I believed the DR. had gotten into the wrong area. That night I had a horrible spinal headache and called the nurse to tell her about it, She spoke with the DR. and he told her to have me lay down I went to sleep and woke up the next mornig with the worst pain ever when I tried to stand up and it has been this way every since the myelogram. Iam going to have a nerve conduction study on my legs. After every thing the DR. sent with his report that this procedure can cause nerve root damage. He also said in his report that there were no apparent complications if this was true why did he have to give me 100mg. of Demerol and 4mg. of Zofran sure wish I had been informed of nerve root injury. Good luck
    Welcome to spine health.

I hope that your pain will soon subside. I know the pain you're experiencing all to well but I've finally found hope! (fingers crossed and all that).

I had that myelogram 1/24/09. I suffered with lower back/butt/leg pain everyday and night for the following 21 months. It overshadowed my cervical pain for a lot of that time until my arm/hand pain got so bad. I asked every doctor I saw what could be wrong but after my lumbar mri they acted like it was in my head. The only pain med any would give me was Tramadol (which is only a little better than nothing for me) and a wide assortment of muscle relaxers. Nothing helped. When I finally saw a different Neurosurgeon about my neck I asked him if the lbp could be coming from my neck and he said no. I thought, ok, I'll get my neck 'fixed' and then I'll find someone to help me with my lbp. I had an acdf c5-6 on October 4 and since waking up in recovery I haven't once had the same low back/butt/leg pain. Before the surgery I couldn't walk up a slight incline in the yard without stopping and bending over to let the pain ease before continuing. Since the surgery, I've walked everywhere and it hasn't hurt! I haven't rode in the car very far yet so I still need to try that. I told my NS about it yesterday and he said that's great but he didn't have a clue why/what had done it. I told him I don't really care as long as it doesn't come back. Everyday I'm afraid it'll return and I pray that it doesn't. It was terrible and I felt so bad in that no one (doctors) would try to help me find the problem. I KNOW that no matter what anyone says that the myelogram caused it. I don't know WHY but I know the exact minute it started. So, there is hope. If the pain comes back for me at least I know that there has to be something that can make it go away...after all it has now for almost four weeks. I'm sorry this is so long but I just wanted to share this with you. I hope that you can find a solution and a cure. I'll let you know how this goes for me..please pray it doesn't come back. I'll be praying you get better.

• Iam so glad that God healed you and I will pray for you. I knew the exact minute that he was in the wrong area that is why I told him to stop. In Aug. 2007 I had a cervical fushion done I ended up in a nightmare. The NS took the bone graft from my hip and cut it to large and left it then I devolped a blood clot because the blood could not go around the bone graft they ordered a CT and it showed that the blood clot was compressing on my spinal cord. He sent me home like this. Then I started to loose the feeling on the right side of my body so he took me back into surgery on 9-11-07 when I woke up from surgery I could not talk he had paralized my voice box on the left side. Then he released me and I ended up with another blood clot which is permament it is in the juglar vein. So now Iam disabled I thank the Lord that he saved me. So now I have more problems. I believe that this my new problem is nerve damage because I take medicine for the nerve damage that was done in my previous surgerys and this medicine helps with my problem. God is good please keep me updated. I will be praying for you too
    From Oct. 4 until Nov. 9 my lbp/butt/thigh/leg pain was 100% gone. Now it's back just like before. I'm thankful for the painfree time I had but am so disheartened that it's back. Crying won't help and only gives me a headache...ah well...

• I've posted in a few different areas. Same thing--back pain. I keep finding new places on this site to post! My left foot and sometimes leg are numb. My back pain isn't bad if I don't do much, but I can't live my whole life this way!! I have young kids. The orthopedist says this happens and not to worry--it could pass, even take a month. Anyone know anybody who got better?? Don't know how to live life now. I'm praying for a miracle!
  • Hi All,

Had a Myelogram this past Wednesday. It was my second. The first a yr ago went well. This one was a disaster. Wondering if anyone had this kind of experience. The dr tilted the table almost to the point that I was standing..odd. I told him I had fainting problems but he did not listen. As he inserted the needle I passed out. When I came to, he immediately proceeded with the test. I felt horrible. As he pulled the needle out, I felt pain in my tailbone and told him. He said he must have hit a nerve on the way out. My headache started the next day and lasted til late yesterday. After calling him on Friday he told me fluids, rest and pain meds. Now my questions...Since last night I have been getting a sharp pain on the top of my head. It comes and goes, about every hour. And I woke up last night with part of my upper thigh numb and my toes in pain. Anyone have anything like this?? And any thoughts if I should call the dr back?? Thanks so much! Nancy
  • Along with the headache I am having a terrible roaring in my ears.Anyone have any ideas.
  • I'm at 6 weeks post myelogram, which was not needed. Started 1st day at injection site pain, then proceeded at the 10 day mark, to become lower back and buttocks aches. I feel unsure of the future and any help would be appreciated. The muscles were (are) seem to be in constant tightness. Had a massage and it removed a lot of tightness, about 25 percent. The only thing I can imagine is inflamed nerve roots causing muscles to tighten. Since several doctors have said take anti-inflammatories for a couple weeks, well that did no good. I did have a new doctor tell me I was one of the lucky 1 percent that this could last 3 months to one year, but was not concerned about it. Thinking about dry point injection or steroid injection before even thinking about an epidural steroid, any thoughts if these would help reduce inflammation. If the myelogram dye caused inflammation and is out of your system, will he inflamed nerves settle down. Will the nerve conduction tests or MRI confirm inflamed nerves at horse tail?
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 07/21/2014 - 5:02 AM
    tightness is related to the myelogram? In a myelogram they inject the dye into the spinal fluid, not into the muscles.
    Try excercises including mild stretching to see if that helps to ease the muscle tension. The muscle tension might be related to being tense while undergoing the procedure, and not from the actual procedure itself.
    I would not consider having another procedure, including dry needling until you clear that with your doctor.
    As far as an MRI or EMG showing inflammed nerves, it depends on how long ago this was, an emg doesn't show damage until at least three months have passed, otherwise you can get a false negative, and if the nerves were indeed damaged inside the cord, it would take some time for there to be evidence of it, if it is related to the dye.
  • i have found that compression socks, stockings, help with the leg pain. my legs were driving me nuts when i tried to rest. stockings helped better then pain meds. hope this helps you.
  • After my myelogram 3 years ago I still have the same pain. The pain started the second the needle was put in my back. I felt lots of spasm. It was too painful to continue with my next oppointmnt that say. I've seen a few doctors but they do not hear what I'm saying to them. They all told me that I have fibromayalsia. This is not true, does fibromyalga hapen to a person the second the needle is inserted in the lower back? I don't think so. Like I said after 3 years, I still can't sleep, walk, lift or work. I did have an MRI which showed that i also have a bulging disk. Prior to the myelogram I never had any back pain that suggested bulging disk, not even for a day. There got to be an explanation for this. I wish a doctor would study this to relief pain from all of you guys. It's not fair trading one pain for another. I'm pretty sure that I will have this lower back pain and leg pain for the rest of my life and yes I do feel that it was a combination of the die and the insertion possibly in the wrong area.