Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleeping on the floor now... what do i do post cervical op?

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all,

Due to the pain... and liking to watch tele as i fall asleep lol, i've set up camp on my hardwood floor with lots of pillows to support my neck and arm. I'm very comfy!! So now in prepping for op on 24th Feb, I'm trying to figure out what sleeping supplies/options I should go with... My bedroom is upstairs - orthopaedic bed - but no TELEVISION! and even if i put one in there.. i'd have to add another monthly bill for the digital television to be piped in there so not really an option! If i want to keep sleeping downstairs (for the sake of the idiot box lol) i think my options for sleeping are:

1) Get a recliner (pricy)
2) Stay on floor - but get wedge pillow, matress topper for the floor (along with my makeshift matress). THis option is of course cheaper than buying a recliner...
3) Hospital bed downstairs... Don't know to go with this or the recliner? if i do... and which is the better option short term/long term?

What i don't know is how realistic it is that i'll be able to get up from the floor, especially if i'm in a collar (i don't know if i'll be in a collar yet.. asking the NS on friday)

Welcome your thoughts on whats realistic and comfy!
Thanks a million!
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    after back or neck surgery, it would be much more of a strain trying to get up from the floor. You need to use alot more effort coming off the floor.

A beach chair that reclines could be a good option. However, please please be warned, while the beach chair would be comfortable, it is also a bit unstable trying to get out of one. If you could secure it more to the floor, it may be an option.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Diamonde,

I'm with the rest here, I used a recliner post-op till I felt comfortable in my bed. I always sleep on my back as it is best for lower back problems so the
    recliner kept me contained and was easy to get out of. If you have to see if a friend has a recliner you could borrow or rent for a short go.
    Take care and best of luck to you,
  • Another vote for recliner -- I slept in one for two months.