Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just got back from Post-op 2nd MicroD/ Quest. about Artificial Disc replacement

jenfabjjenfab Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all. Just got back from my post-op appt. after MicroD..3 1/2 weeks post. I thanked him for saving my life of pain agai n and told him I no longer have severe leg pain (numbness, vibtating, and some pain) but have always had right-sided low back pain...he told me if within three months of recovery after this last surgery he may consider doing a Artificial disc replacement (Arthroplasty)...reasons being I also have disc degeneration and other issues with my L4 too besides L5S1.

Wondering if anyone here has had this done, and what was there outcome, downtimes..etc. i will totally consider this after researching it a bit online..but want to hear from others who have REALLY experienced it.

he also told me that my rupture was SO LARGE this last time, that he not only removed the disc that was ruptured but had to actually go INSIDE the disc to get pieces that were broke off in there. I requested copies of my records cuz I want to see for myself...since I didnt know this before I left the hospital. i knew recovery seemed a bit longer, but It's good to always have our records right?

Thanks to anyone who can respond.

• Do alot of reaserch on it I have read that if you have instability at other levels a ARD may not be a good idea .This is just what I have read do your own research and make sure it's what you want.Good luck
  • I recently had three ADR's in the lumbar region L-3 to S-1. I am nine months post op doing well, aside from nerve damage as a result of Herniation not Doc. The pain in back is gone. This was performed Anterior approach. Timeline was for me as follows: Into surgery on a Friday, four hours on the table. Slept all the remainder of Friday and Saturday. (due to Anesthesia). Awoke on Sunday and by noon was roaming the halls. Went home on Monday. It took a little getting used to like any major surgery. But before long I was back to normal routine. I was a candidate for this procedure due to good bone density and strength. Also I have DDD in all my Lumbar Discs. Doc had given me choice, ADR or Fusion. I decided to go with ADR with the anticipation that range of motion would be greater. And that the adjacent levels may not be affected. Everything is ok thus far.
    I wish you luck in whatever you choose to do. If you have any further questions dont hesitate to contact.

The information provided by members of Spine-Health should never be considered as formal medical advice. It is recommendations based on member's personal experiences only.
    This can vary from person to person, so do not take comments as medical facts or rules
  • Sounds like you are doing good so far. I didnt know you could have three discs done at once or at all. I thought it was for one disc only. I am just starting to research, so I guess there is alot to learn. i would totally be open to it and have it done oppossed to a fusion ( which my doc does not want to put me through) he said i had the choice of the two also...but said I was a good candidate for the ADR.
    Best of luck to you...hope all goes well with your healing :)