Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

24 years old, don't know what to do

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello one and all, I am brand new to this site and I am hoping that i can find hope, comfort, or advice by being a member here. I don't have a computer so I am doing all this on my PDA phone so please excuse me if I can not move around to certain areas for advice or help.
About my condition, on my way to work i was walking down my stairs trying to put on my coat, so my arms were caught and they could offer no help, i slipped on some ice and I fell down the stairs, my back struck every stair that i know of from where i originaly stood, which i believe was about 10. I went to the hospital and they said my back had a contusion, gave me Loratab5 I believe, and flexeril. The next day the pain had worsened so I returned and they said I had a Lumbosacrial* ( not sure if i spelled that right) strain and that i should stay out of work for 4 days. Then they gave me a steroid pack. At the end of that period, I returned to a different doctor out of pain meds and at this point my leg had started aching. They changed my meds to vicoprofen7.5 and some kind of muscle relaxer that included ibuprofen. They told me to seek a family type doctor. I finally got to see the back doctor the same day i was to run out of my pain meds, he immediatly sent me for an MRI. I asked him to give me a prescription for pain meds, but i feel he just thought i was a junkie at the time so he told me to just run out of my current script till our next appointment ( 5 days later). After the MRI i hate to admit it but i purchased LORATAB 10 and was taking them 3 at the time to barely take the edge off. I did this probly 3 times a day. The pain at this point is all the way to my toes, my left foot tingles like needles are pricking them and my left inner thigh throbs to the point that the slightest touch brings tears to my eyes. I feel I am a pretty tough individual and this is the concurrent pain with the constant radianting pain in my lower back. My next visit with the doctor he tells me that I have 2 discs that are herneated at what I believe is L4-5 L5-S1, the bottom 2 vertebrate on my back and he says thaton a scale of 10, 0 being normal 10 being immediaite surgery required both were at an 8. He administered a cortisone shot and it didn't even wink at it. He gave me a perscription of Loratab 10 and to take no more than 1 at a time 3 times a day. I have followed these instructions, but the pain is so severe I don't know what to do. I don't want to OD, but I am in constant pain. He told me that surgery was most likely imminent, but I'm only 24 years old. Please give me advice. I can't sleep,(which is why I'm writing this at 2:45 AM) and I hate being awake. I'm a welder and I have a family to support so I need this to be through with quickly so I can support my family. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks for your time, and have a nice day.

• After post reading my entry I feel that I needed to add that I am on a tri-week cortisone injection series, at the end of which I am to seek a surgery. Since the meds I am on taking 1 at a time 3 times a day are not working and were barely working taking 3 a day is there something else I can take that will work so I do not hurt at such a constant? What advice can be given to a person 24 years old with these conditions, no offense but most people i hear about with conditions such as these are a bit older.
    Once again, thanks for your time and have a nice day.

• Welcome to S~H :H

No offense taken,but yours was an accident,not a condition-is that right? Anyone at any age can take a fall,but we have people here that are younger than you,that do have 'conditions'.

If the medication is not helping you,you should ask the Dr that prescribed it what else you can do for your pain.Have you tried icing the area?Are you resting it?

I do understand.I was only 23 when I had my first bone surgery,and with an 8 month old to care for,it wasn't easy,or fun at all.I had many more and another baby in between (lol).Don't even KNOW what that says about me-or my pain/problems.

Good luck to you,and please keep us posted :H
  • Accident is not the word for it, more like a horrendous fall, but yes it was an accident. I currently have 4 children that I am caring for, a 10 and a 9 year old, (adopted),a 1 year old and a 6 month old. Is surgery going to be required? I know this is definatly the wrong page to through the word lawsuit around, but just to be honest that is the way this is being paid for, my fall was xue to the general negligance of the homeowners association of the condiminium that i live at so I want a one time fix, being that this can not be revisited once closed, but really since this is not work related I am not getting paid for my time off work and need to return to work as quickly as possible.
  • All it seems like i do is rest the area, I am not allowed to work. and my fiancee (the queen) will barley let me blow my own nose , she won't even let me take the trash from the couch to the kitchen, so yes, I am getting plenty of rest.
  • although doesn't cure the pain it can sooth it.

I feel for you but remember, although young, you only have one back and if the time is now that you stop and sort it, then do it.
    Make sure you understand the reasons why the surgeon sest surgery. If in doubt, get a second opnion.

Good luck
  • I don't know if surgery will be required--right now,and of course I'm not a Dr so not qualified to know,but I feel it fairly safe to say that when it comes to back/spine injuries there is almost never a 'one time fix'.

Both Drs & attorneys know this is generally safe to say-that is why so many cases where the back/spine is involved are 'settled' out of court.It's cheaper to just throw a big pile of money at the injured person/s and be done with it.....meanwhile they know that the injuries will probably need long term treatment and they won't need to worry about the bigger costs and future surgeries.

I'm not saying this will be so in your case,and I'm sure you've thought of all of this already.Once you sign a release from the attorney from the homeowners assc. they will be free of future lawsuits-even if you sign a check,in most cases-so please be careful.If they know that you are on meds,they may take advantage of that too.

It sounds like you have your hands full with 4 young ones,and you will surely need to take care of those injuries.It's good that your fiance is taking care of you too.
  • hey diesel,

A lot has been said, re pain management - when you see doc, ask about lyrica. I'm not sure at all if it's something suitable for you, but it has saved me from my nerve pain in my neck/shoulder/arm - still hurts, but nothing like the excruciating pain before they put me on lyrica. I take a narcotic pain killer for when my neck itself hurts - seems its a different type of a pain than the nerve pain. And again, don't know about how your pain/type is hitting you but thought i'd mention about the lyrica and its benefits for me with my nerve related pain.

Age and backs.... like others here i was 30 at my first back op, and it was a huge success (my 2nd will be for my neck). When pppl are talking here about FIRST and SECOND surgeries, don't let that scare you. You are an individual, and everyone is different. But you do HAVE to take care of your back!! You want it to last as long as possible :))) At times like this its tempting to try and look into our crystal balls and try to come up with a plan for EVERYTHING - and that is simply not possible :? . Stay focussed, take this one hurdle at a time. First theres rest/ice/heat and managing pain. Doctors input, second opinions if you feel that is helpful for you, then your action plan - whether its PT, meds, surgery - or a combination - once you know where you're going on this journey it'll probably help you cope. And then your journey of recovery. The how will we cope question (that we all worry about - none of us like to be dependent on others while we're like this... but families are amazing!! you will find a way, your family will find a way to cope whether you need surgery or not. Just stay focussed on what you need to manage today, tomorrow will come. And lastly... a good lawyer can never hurt! =D>
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • i am sorry to hear about your lower back problem ..its similar to my own..it sounds like you will require and operation ..but let me give you some good advice .MAKE SURE THAT YOU FIND THE BEST SURGEON AND BEST AFTER CARE THAT YOU CAN !!!.i was an electrician and after my first operation i was unable to work due to pain ..{but i still could get about /drive /go swimming and have a normalish life with pain killers and i could have sex and be able to sleep for 8 hours every night ..BUT as time has gone on 11 years to be more precise i have require another operation and now one year on from the last operation i am unable to do anything! i am in pain 24/7 don't sleep my spine is full of scar tissue and there is nothing more that can do for me and i am only 42 ..i have not worked for 10 years {i hate it!}.most of my friends have had similar operations and they have had the same problems as me ..so beware my friend
    i dont want to scare you but you should be told all the facts before you have an operation .even if you get a good result after surgery you wont be able to do you job my friends welds ships but after his back operation he can no longer bend and lean in to places where you welders go!{you know what i mean}you have to be flexible and have a lot of stamina for your job .and i think that you will struggle after back surgery ..good luck
    STRAKER.....you can send me a private post if you want any more info
This discussion has been closed.