Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help ASAP!

hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 182
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi my precious friends.

I had another thing happen today and I am not sure to be alarmed or not. I went to bend over to clean my toilet and something in the left side of my back popped and it hurt really bad,It even effected my left leg.

I have hardware on that side from back surgery.I am still hurting and I even feel a bit numb now on that left lower side of my back and at the same time I hurt.

Does anyone know how to tell if a screw is out?

• Jeanie I know your scared I was to and still am. But hardware can move even just a mml and it would cause that much pain and numbness.Best thing is to check with your dr. and I know thats a subject that in itself is scary but best be safe than sorry you know what i mean? :)))
  • I guess the only way to know is to consult your doctor. I hope you manage to spend a fairly restful night until you can make a call and get checked out.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Statistics are very much in your favor that it is NOT a screw. We read about it on forums such as this, but, in realty, it is a rare happening. It used to happen more often, but the design of the pedicle screws was changed and now it really doesn't happen that often.

Chances are that a snappinig or popping that you hear and/or feel is the soft tissue (like a ligament) temporarily getting hung up and then releasing.

Most back surgeries can be viewed as a major carpentry project. The tools are very similar to what a carpenter uses to construct something, so you can imagine the level of trauma that the body goes through. Try not to worry. It is fairly normal to have experiences like this as you are healing.

Whenever I do something like that, I find it useful to ice the area for 10-20 minutes and also, the most useful thing for me is to get down on the floor and lie flat on my back...again for about 5-10 minutes. This gives the discs a chance to unload and it allows the muscles and soft tissue to relax. I find this will stop any type of muscle spasm from getting a hold.

I'm not sure how far out you are from your surgery, but bear in mind that it takes a LONG time to recover fully. During the process there will be little ups and downs, and nerve twinges will come and go. This is all part of the process.

Hope you are already feeling better. Stay positive and try to let the stress go. It really does make a difference. ;)
  • And I called my doc. They xray'd and everything was fine. He told me that short of something catastrophic like a car accident, it would be almost impossible for me to dislodge the cage and screws he put in. He does nothing but spine surgery and is highly regarded in professional circles as well as with his patients so I believe him.

He told me it can be, as stated earlier, ligament or muscle movement or even scar tissue issues. If it bothers you and you are worried, call your doc. That's what he gets the big bucks for, as we like to say! He is there as much for your peace of mind as for your back health.

Keep us posted!