Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck hurts drinking out of a can, anyone else?

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My C5-6 ACDF is fused fine. C4-5 bulging above now. I have noticed lately that when I try to drink out of a coke can to get the last 1/4 of it, my neck hurts terribly. I also have a lot of shoulder pain, neck pain and stiffness. Lots of muscle spasms too. I attributed a lot of it to driving 8 hrs a day, but the drinking/pain problems are fairly new. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas about causes? Seems like every 6 mos or so I just fall apart a little more :''( I made a resolution the first of the year that this was going to be the year I didn't have any surgerys! I hope this new pain problem isn't going to blow that resolution :D Thanks for any suggestions.....Maggie
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Maggie,

I haven't been able to drink out of a can since my first surgery without having to tilt my head and body to the side to get the last of it. Guess I'm a glass is 1/2 full kinda gal....hahahaha!

I'm fused C-5 to T-1 and have some serious muscle spasm issues as well. I am much looser when I'm able to go to massage therapy often, have you tried that for your spasms?

Hope it isn't anything worse than spasms but if it doesn't get better call your doc.

Griff
  • I have 3 fused (or fusing) discs in my neck from C3 > C6 and while I don't drink soda, I can't drink out of a water bottle and finish it unless I use a straw (at least not without some serious pain). Lots of stuff I can't do these days but most of them have work arounds and might not be such good ideas anyway :)(like trying to hold a phone between neck and shoulder).

My bottom line is if it hurts no matter what, its a problem but if it hurts when I do something I can prevent or do a different way, its not a problem.

Feel better,
    LJ
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,065
    drinking out of a can is very hard to do. My last cervical surgery was in 2000 and I still have a problem if I try putting my head back to drink from a can.
    There have been two major restrictions since my ACDF surgeries:

1- Putting my chin to my chest
    2- Putting my head back looking at the sky

I was on a recent vacation to Italy.. With my cervical, thoracic and lumbar problems, we were not sure how I would handle all the walking, etc. I did great, had no problems UNTIL we went to a museum in Rome and wanted to look at the paintings on the ceiling. I did for just a bit and for a couple of days, my neck muscles were stinging.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • what does it mean if you can't tilt your head back - as in drinking from a soda can - IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD SURGERY?

As I read all your posts, you all have had surgery....I have not - but 2 years after all this started....i haven't been able to tilt my head back to drink from a can for the year of so and it is even now worse since the botox (2/13) injections into my trap muscle (nk and back 4 shots)

anyone else out there without surgery have this?
    pfm
advertisement