Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Believe this?

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
After all those threads about pain medication and a lack of treatment.
Yesterday I ended up in the ER.....I have been having a great deal of Pain in my left ribcage area.I've been trying to ignore,hoping it would go away.Yesterday I couldn't stand it anmore so I went to the ER...They thought It was a kidney stone perhaps. To make a long story short and after urinalysis and x-rays, I have a fractured 9th rib. They can't do anything for this and they did not even give me pain meds. I didnt wanna ask and have it appear I was "seeking" I also told them i have the patch and some left over oxy's from the walk in clinic doc(see i Didn't take em all)! So they just said , use those. Trouble is, I have enough med for today, cant see the PCP till the 19th....what do I do in the mean time? This is very painful!

• I am sure your discharge instructions say to come back to the ER if the pain gets worse. The "patch" should cover you for 2-3 days but doesnt usually start to help for 2 days or so,thats why its not used for acute pain. Call you PCP and see if they will call something in to cover the next few days till you see them, they should get the ER report pretty quick and then your situation will be confirmed. Other than that your only choice would be to spread those meds out and switch to extra strength tylenol.

Good Luck,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Not to be cruel, but I've broken several ribs and ER doctors have never provided pain medication.
    When my daughter was 16, she broke a rib during a High School Basketball game...Again ER, no pain meds.
    They all have just said take some Tylenol.
    Crack or Broken ribs is painful, especially when you move or cough/sneeze.
    Many times acute pain is not treated with any narcotic pain medication.
    You have to deal with it... Might be tough, but
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • TRue enough and agreed......I'll get by
  • Keep in mind(just in case they didn't tell you!) that with cracked ribs, it is very important to deep breathe and cough every hour while you are awake. When your chest hurts, you tend to not breathe deep enogh which sets you up for pneumonia or pleural effusions(me cuz I was just too smart to use the breathing machine after surgery cuz I was just sure I didn't need it! taught me a lesson.)

You can use a pillow to hold up against the painful area and "splint" the area while you cough/deep breathe.

Sorry this has happened on top of everything else, not what you needed. Broken ribs are not even really taped anymore. Interesting, most minor rib fractures only show up about 50% on xray because they are hard to see. Just an a piece of trivia!

Anyway, hope this situation doesn't throw you too much off track from your other situations.
  • Hi
    Thanks for that info. They did NOT tell me that.May I ask you, What is a pleural effusion? I assume a "tear" correct? Also, I gather you are a nurse?

No, they did not tape and say there is really nothing they can do for it. It IS painful !
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    in laymens terms is fluid that builds up around your lungs which can make breathing more difficult. You dont want to start messing around with your lungs or introduce any new problems there.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com