Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie from New York

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
Good morning from the Empire State.

I am off work today and sitting here at the computer researching Thoracic injuries and stumbled upon your site.
I have found there really isn't a lot of info about Thoracic disk herniations and fixes. I was in a Car accident and had a bulging disk and torn disk in my L4/5 and L5/S1. I kept telling the doctors that my middle back hurt as well and they put it off until recently when my right leg stopped having the pain go down it and just went numbish and felt really heavy. Then they MRI'd my Thoracic spine and found a herniation.
I am scheduled for a Myelogram on the 25th of February. Which I am very nervous about. And then I go back to the NS on the 3rd of March.
So that's where I am.
Look forward to talking with you guys and maybe bouncing thoughts and feelings off you.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    What part of New York are you from? I grow up on Long Island and worked in the Poughkeepsie area for about 30 years
    The thoracic area is a very difficult area. Up until recently, there were not many articles about it. When I first herniated some Thoracic discs, my Neurosurgeon had a hard time with it. The standard was that its almost impossible to herniated a Thoracic disc, since they are attached to our rib cage and so strong, and if we do have problems, they dont cause pain
    Well, I am glad that is the past. More and more information is available about Thoracic discs, but still some of the causes and treatments are not well laid out.
    And as far as surgery, it was a major odeal,
    Going through the front, cracking your breastplate, moving aside a lung to get to the disc. And there was zero guarantee that it would help. The procedures have improved, but still not all surgeons are prepared to peform thoracic surgery. Many times, its working on the back deep muscles (ie Rhomboid) that can reduce some of the pain.
    I have yet to find a physical therapy location that can get deep enough to work on those muscles. The only relief I got was from having pure Deep Tissue Massage
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. be sure and get a second opinion once a diagnosis is made, especially if surgery is recommended. the more information you have the better you can move forward. i am sure someone has had a myelogram and could give you their experience. remember that when you feel stressed your pain levels tend to go up, ~X( so stay as calm as you can during this difficult time. (|: good luck and i look forward to hearing from you! :D Jenny :)
  • I have heard that it is difficult to do surgery in the thoracic area and that is why some docs will not deal with it. I wish you much luck and look forward to seeing you around. Please keep us posted.
  • Thanks so much for the warm welcomes.
    I have found it to be very exhausting and punitive to seek Thoracic disk information elsewhere. I am comforted already by being on here. At least I feel that people understand each other here and can vent to a sympathetic ear.
    From what I can gather on the other forums on here...MYelograms tend to differ in results. I will be asking for a bloodpatch before I leave since the procedure will be donw an hour and a half away and I don't wish to make the drive twice to resolve the possibility of a spinal headache. It just sounds miserable.
    I look forward to chatting with you more and will keep you posted on how I make out once I go over the results with my NS.
    Dilauro, I did ask about Deep Tissue Thai massage and their is a masseuse in my area that does it. I am not looking forward to surgery through the anterior but I will get a second opinion before I proceed.
    I live in Corning NY. The home of Corning Glass. It's a wonderful area and I love it here.
    I deliver mail and this whole hitch in my life is making that so difficult. MY boss has been great though. I just pray that they can alleviate some of the pain and make it bearable to do my mail route.
    I also have a couple bulging disks in my thoracic area. I am going to ask the NS what the levels are. They seem to be in the middle region from the view on the MRI.
    WEll I'm off to bed...I"m exhausted.
  • Hi from a fellow NY'er. I also experienced simular, had a laminectomy, and fusion on the lower back but kept complaining about pain in my middle back, i sometimes felt ignored as they were more interested in my lower back where there are still problems, any way they did my second myelogram and discovered the disk on L!-T!@ pressing into my spinal cord, so the 25th i go in for surgery. They said thru the side, removing a rib and putting a plate it. I've searched and can't find any info on this surgery, Sher
  • Welcome to Spine-health. I am glad you turned to this site for help. You find this site to be loaded with information, people who understand how you feel, a great place to express your frustrations. We are a community of back sufferers that are here to help each other through whatever tough times we may be going through.

It's just my opinion but I would think the leg issues would be coming from the bulging and torn discs L4-S1.

I haven't researched much of the thoracic area so I'm not sure what parts of the body that can affect. I should do more research because my back hurts in between my shoulder blades all the time too but nothing has ever been checked there because I am too focused on lower back since that's the worst of my pain.

Feel free to pm me with any questions, comments or concerns you may have. Although I am not a medical professional, I can offer support and understanding.