Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck fusion surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just had a fusion a week ago. I thought when I go for my post of appt tomorrow I won't have to wear this collar anymore? Anyway, all my muscles hurt in my neck and shoulders. Did they cut through the muscles to get to my spine? Dr. xxx went through the front.

Edited to remove Doctors name, Ron DiLauro Spine-Health Administrator, 02/12/09

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    I just need to tell you that I edited your post that had the doctor's name in it. We do not allow naming doctors on this site.

Now, in terms of your surgery. What discs where involved?
    I am not sure what if any muscles are cut in an ACDF surgery. But I do know that post op you head feels like it was a ton and that your neck can no longer support it. As far as the pain you have in your shoulders, neck, et, that would also be the result of surgery. Any time there are surgical procedures that open an area, cut an area, there are going to be some post op pains.
    Same thing would happen if you had knee or ankle surgery.
    If the pain gets too much, I would contact your doctor to discuss this with him
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Bonnie.

Ron is right - it's quite normal (at least for me and most of the others I've talked to) to experience shoulder and back muscle spasms and pain in the back of the next after ACDF surgery. I still get them and I'm 3-1/2 months out. I believe they would've gone away after PT, but I had to stop going because of matters beyond my control.

After my 3-lvl ACDF, I wore a hard collar for a month and a soft collar for the following two months.

Take care and let us know what levels you had done.
  • I have c3, c4 and c5 herniated but the doctor only did the worst on pushing on my spinal cord.

The first couple of days after the surgery I felt better than I have in years! Energy, motivation.... Slept well woke up refreshed...
    Then 4 days ago I started feeling bad again. back to not sleeping well and tired all the time and my neck and shoulders hurt.

Did I do something wrong?
  • Me too, exactly. Felt great right after surgery and for a couple of weeks (if I remember correctly), but some pretty wicked back spasms started hitting after that and actually got worse with time. They've subsided a bit now.

That being said, I'm no doctor - so call your surgeon just to be sure. It is so amazing how your body's reaction to all this cervical spine stuff are spasms.

Take care and let us know what they say.
  • Hi everyone. I haven't felt great after either one of my surgeries, mainly because I have chronic DDD, and I'm sure that some (or most)of you have that too. I had a C4-C5 fusion done on 2/4/09 and when I woke up in recovery, I thought I got hit with a baseball bat on the back of my neck and across the top of my shoulders. I knew my Dr. was going a Anterior Cervical Disectomy and Fusion from the front. On 10/12/2007, I had a 4 level Laminectomy done ( same Dr.) and that was pretty rough, but this surgery irritated all of those muscles and nerve endings all over again, only worse. Talk about the hot needles feeling, and pounding deep aches--wow!!. The nurses were treating me for the back of my neck 24/7 because the front didn't hurt. I even ask them to put the Morphine directly in my neck if they could, but they weren't amused. :( I have the Lidoderm patches and those wouldn't even touch the pain, only ice packs would help :) and I'm still using them.
    The surgery was successful in treating my problem, and unstable neck, nerve issues, a right arm going numb along with the right shoulder tingling and going cold on me. He put a plate in there to stabilize my neck, but didn't do a bone graph, no hard or soft collar. I think my neck was weakened from the previous surgery, which I understand can happen and then can get out of alignment, and the x-rays showed C4-C5 was to far out of alignment,(C4 had shifted forward) my Dr. pointed it out immediately and was pretty concerned about it, and so was I after looking at the film. So I said fix it, and post-op pain is just part of the process of healing, and the surgeon working in there screwing things together and moving things out of the way to do it.
    Don't know if I can go back to work on March 2nd though-----

Take care all

DDD, 4 level Laminectomy 10/12/2007 Cervical Fusion C4-C5 2/4/2009 and other issues in there
  • i woke up with the same pains as u bonnie. next morning i asked doc why it hurt so bad. he told me they tip your head as far back as it will go. then they tape your shoulders down.i had my wife and daughter rub my neck and shoulders for a couple of weeks. and since then i havent had too many problems. so being put in that position for more than 2 hrs will have some effect on your body.
  • After my first ACDF I felt great the week following surgery only to have my pain return with a vengeance. My doctor told me I still had the effects of the meds in my body and that is why I felt so good following the procedure. It gave me false hopes.
    I am going back in 3 weeks to have another surgery and hope this one has better results

• Went to the doc today and he says I'm doing fine and the pain in my neck and shoulders is pretty normal. Gave me some more pain meds...between the Vicaton and Skelaxin I'm hoping it will be ok.

I forgot to ask about how much weight I can lift. I was originally only supposed to lift 10lbs.

I really appreciate this group...Its nice to know others are going through the same things. I don't feel as scared that way.

Its tough when you're a care giver. I'm 49 and have both my elderly/handicapped parents living with me as well as my 10 yr. old daughter. My husband of 25 years recently left me for a woman he liked better...any way I feel really vulnerable, scared and helpless. Esp. when my parents are doing things for ME instead of the other way around.
    At least I can drive now...thats a plus.

Sorry, Rambling :)

Bonnie Talcott
  • Glad everything is normal. I'm sure your dr STILL does NOT want you to lift anything over 10lbs. My restrictions lasted for 6 weeks, and I only had a one level fusion. You really don't want to undo all his good work :) Let your daughter do the carrying of heavy stuff for awhile yet. Sorry about your jerk of a husband, but glad you have the emotional support of your parents there with you. I'm sure that helps. Take care, and behave yourself!
  • Hi! I can't tell everybody how helpful your comments are.I am looking at having a 5/6 neck fusion, and am totally scared.I am having difficulty in finding a doctor.Do I go with Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon? Whats bothering me the most is the after care.The swollowing problems.I have other disc damage and will need pain meds for those, from what I am hearing, is crushing the meds and putting them in water doable?Whats the aftercare really like.Is the collar uncomfortable? Can you sleep ok with it?What about the stitches? If anyone in New Jersey has had this done can you tell where you had it done.How long before really feeling better, driving,work.I am betting my job will be a no go for awhile. I'm a dog groomer, so I can guess no work for a long time.Does any one collect disability?
  • hi my father has 2-3 disks around C-2 - C-3 and is compressing the spinal chord. It's so bad it's giving him sevear nuropathy and effecting his breathin at times. The doc wants to fuse between C-2 and C-7 but he can't handle 5 hours of anisthiesia because of c.o.p.d from when he used to smoke (he quit in 2003 when he was diagosed with minor emphizaima). Something has to be done but what. Watching him get worse is almost to much to bear. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks...........