Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy post-op pain returning

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I have gathered from reading a bit that post-op pain is normal, but I can't help panicking and I wanted to see if other have experienced anything similar.

I had a miscrodiscectomy on L5/S1 right side for sciatic pain that had been bothering me for months. A few days post op some of the leg pain returned, but nothing serious. I was incredibly careful for the first week, as I basically had a caretaker, but I still felt twinges of pain returning. It is now 9 days post op and when I woke up this morning it feels like for the first time that the pain is truly similar in type (no where near intensity though) to what it was before surgery. I had to get on a plane yesterday and I'm freaked out that I made it worse, though I never had any traumatic moments, so to speak.

Does this sounds normal to others who've had successful surgeries? And for those who've had a recurrence, at what point did you know? I am 31 and the doctor told me that I am high risk for recurrence due to the disc materials consistency at my relatively young age, so that freaks me out even more.

• Hi there,

I have exactly the same problem as you.

I had a microdiscectomy on L5S1 a month ago. I had leg pain for just over a year before I had the surgery. I was excited immediately after the surgery that my leg pain was completely gone. After about 12 days it came back, first a little bit and now it's back to exactly the same as before the surgery.

I went to the surgeon today for my 4 week post op and he said there is a good chance I reherniated it. I don't know how this is possible since I've been so careful. He said there is a small chance the nerve is just irritated but if this was the case I would have had the pain right after surgery.

I'm trying not to be discouraged as I've read some different people have had this happen and it's eventually gone away and they are okay.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too.

Take care