Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

disc removal second op, now uncontrolled bowel movement and very depressed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi is anybody out there having or has had this problem who can help? my 44yr old brother had 2 prolapsed disc's removed 02.2008 and has been taking high doses of morphine since. his second op 02.2009 the op was to clean out the area to where debrae was left . he is now recovering at home and is still on strong morphine and is now suffering from uncontrolled bowel movement , he was told this could be a risk but had no choice but to go ahead with the op.is this cureable? is there any remedies? will it return to normal?along with this he is waiting to have a form of skin cancer removed from his forehead due to a old welding burn he done at work years ago.i would love to help him he is 45 on monday but is so depressed and very low. thanks to any one who can bring any light on this .

• Oh dear. I know the feeling of trying to help a dear brother. Only his doctor can say for sure (or at least a best guess) if he will regain control of his bowel movements. I believe, if you search on line, you will find this is something called cauda equinas (or something like that) and results from disturbance at the end of the spinal cord. Since his surgery is so recent, I would assume that the nerves are still so disturbed that control of that area is not possible at this time but may return. I can imagine he is depressed. The best I can say is help keep his spirits up as much as you can. Tell him he will have to work at it to regain control after the inflammation is down (most likely) and do a lot of praying. I've just spent 3 months in bad depression following my surgery. I did have a lot of bladder and bowel control problems, but they are improving. I'm in physical therapy and finally beginning to be glad I had the surgery. It can be a long haul.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • hi linda,
    thank you so much for your positive reply,
    i will be passing on this information to him that will hopefully keep him positive.
    he was such an active person always doing something but since his back problems a year ago he has been at home depresesed.no one at the hospital seem to have answers and has had to return this month to have the area cleaned out as was not done properly the first time and has been surviving on strong morphine(cant live without it) i wish you all the best with your recovery and thank you . jane