Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatica causing high blood pressure

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
my name is russ and i've sciatica that is from S1-L2 since 3/06 and the back,leg,feet pain has graduated to new levels and can elevate from 0-60 in 1-2 min. .i can control my pain with meds but i dont like to stay on the meds all the time to just use them as needed .but the pain kicks in so quick my blood pressure rises from 120/70- 158/108 in minutes.i recently had the sciatica pain so great it made a migraine and turned my blood pressure up so quickly ,that i have eye pain now all the time in my left eye.if i get on blood pressure meds when my pressure is high then take pain killers to kill the pain i think i could drop my blood pressure too low. what to do next?

• Russell,
    Although generally you would expect your BP to rise in relation to pain, the key is not just the highest rate, even at Paulgla 240+ but how prolonged that carries on, everyone’s BP would be raised when pain increases and if you are taking reading at that time, that in itself maybe a reason for the increase. If you worry that will increase your BP and when the pain strikes it is not easy to relax, this is about balance and the selection of medication will cover those eventualities of while making your BP lower and perhaps thinning you blood, not too low.

If you are worried you could see your doctor, many here have the pains you describe and that increase of BP may just pertain to you, try taking it in the morning after sleeping and try to relax when possible, we all need a plan when the pain flares and whatever works through trial and error can take time to evaluate.

If you link pain with increased BP that future process is not good for your heart health, ask your doctor your very question and see what they say.

Heart health is about understanding what you need to do, and pertinent to your longevity.

Take more care, John
  • effect you on many levels my friend ..and yes it can push up your blood pressure and make you sweat /cold and have low blood pressure...talk it over with you family doctor dont ignore it!
    its your body trying to tell you that's something's wrong .
  • hey thanks smiley,

i talked it over yesterday with my pd and he didnt really have a clue what to do in this circumstance.i am going to get a eye ,and brain cat scan because the blood pressure raised the bp high to bust blood vessels in my eye and now i have pain behind my left eye and the eye doc requested these scans.i am in need of a better personal physician.sounds like your having the same kind of fun as i am .well,i am hoping for stem cell research to install new discs in my back meanwhile i will just hang tough like you are. im been married for 27yrs to marcia and i am 48.
  • Hi,

Blood pressure (BP) is the pressure (force per unit area) exerted by circulating blood on the walls of blood vessels, and constitutes one of the principal vital signs. The pressure of the circulating blood decreases as it moves away from the heart through arteries and capillaries, and toward the heart through veins. When unqualified, the term blood pressure usually refers to brachial arterial pressure: that is, in the major blood vessel of the upper left or right arm that takes blood away from the heart. Blood pressure may, however, sometimes be measured at other sites in the body, for instance at the ankle.

high blood pressure