Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

numb knee

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Chronic Pain
after my last surgery,i woke up and the first thing i felt was my knee and shin being numb.my neruo said it had nothing to do with my back and sent me to a pain clinic.that dr had me get a mri and said my knee was out and gave me a shot.well about 3 mo later it started bothering me again.the pm dr said i would need knee surgery and sent me to a orth.he said its not my knee.maybe a little artritice and some bone on bone.he said its coming from my back....then out of nowhere he said no dr will ever thouch me with a 10 foot pole,meaning doing surgery on me.why would he say something like that to me?he did give me a shot in the knee.anyone else have a numb knee.should i see another knee dr?

• If you're not happy with doc... new doc... 2nd opinion! I've had knee/back/neck problems. As for my knees, no one has ever said my symptoms were because of my back or neck. My right knee was stage 3 degradation (only found that out after the op). Before the op i was in excruciating pain, constant locking.. and a NORMAL mri!! They did a heat bone scan thing (don't know the name) and it showed how much friction was happineing under the platella... so they did the op and did a debridment where they clean it out and scrape the platella underneath so that its smooth when you use the knee. Stage 4 degeneration is when they start talking knee replacements.. stage 5 is when the DO knee replacements.. Recovery from an arthroscopy is so quick too. The last point i'll make is that when we have any kind of spinal problems, other parts of our bodies take up the pressure... particularly our knees. everytime my back goes, i use my knees differently.. extra wear and tear and all that... I'm no doc, and don't know your whole situation... but in case my knee's story is helpful... thought i'd share :-)
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • heres what my knee fells like.somethimes the whole knee well fell real numb,and my pain is like way in the middle of the knee.and sometimes my shin well get numb and also hurt.at night when i put my leg up on the recliner the knee likes get double numb?the other day my knee and shin both hurt all day.it seems the shin pain and numbness comes and goes.i also got and epi shot for my back last week ,was hopeing this would also help the knee.hasn;t even hepled the back yet.thanks for the replies.mark
  • Hi ya,

As a frequent flyer in the knee game, i've had it all, torn this, fragment that, debridment - everything but replacement thank God! - I've never had the symptoms your describing. So maybe get a 2nd opinion... don't know if you saw an OS or an NS for your other surgeries? but maybe a good OS for this???? Just a thought....

GOod luck and hope your feeling better soon
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • it was and os i saw....he did say that what i told him it didn;t sound like my knee but my back.he did give me a shot and said i could see him in 6 weeks.not going back to see him.no reason too.sometimes i think i should of not said anythging about my knee.so all 3 drs say thay have know idea what is wrong.i told my wife after we left the os office i felt like a fool.a couple of monts ago my pm sent me to a another neruo about a leakage he thought i had.anyway when he call my wife and said the leak was still drying after surgery i had and would be ok,but told her he thought i would need a fusion and let him know.(had a double lam on 2-3-3-4)he said didn,t work.....mark
  • I'm on lyrica for the numbness and pain in my legs and feet. Also the epidurals helped too. Have you tried amitriptyline? That's a nerve drug also I take at night and it helps with sleep also. Hang in there. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
This discussion has been closed.