Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New, looking for help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

I posted as a newbie a few weeks ago, and didn't want to continue until I had a diagnosis. In the last few weeks I have had an MRI, X-rays, neurological testing and an EMG. I will not get into my specific MRI results right now. I would rather start a conversation with fellow members, if possible to see how you all deal with this pain and with such a drastic change in your life.

I went to the doctor for hand numbness and tingling - no idea about the spine. Anyway, after the MRI, I started to get neck pain, headaches, some lower back but something that was bearable and didn't last a long time. Now I just can't believe how much worse it has gotten, where just four weeks ago I had no pain and no knowledge of what was going on.

I have cervical spondylosis at C4-5, C4-6, C-5, 6,7. Normal spine. No compression. :) No neurological deficits, not surgical candidate. No T-2 signal. Light exercise, swimming and light stretching (maybe Pilates). Heat, Celebrex (cannot take due to sulfa drug reaction). My Primary gave me hydrocodone, which I intend to use wisely, but after last night I think it may be hard to do that. The EMG was clear and no one knows why I have numbness and tingling in my hands, also weaker grip (sporadic).

I drove a lot to doctors this week, and last night I had neck pain, headache, pain in upper and lower back, pain even seemed to radiate from my head all down the front of my body. Very weird and very unpleasant, I woke every 2 hours. I took Advil PM and used heat, finally took 1 Vicodin which gave me 3 hours. Up until now the pain came and went and was not nearly this bad. I spend a lot of time on my laptop, probably not great idea but need to do it for work. I know I don't have great posture. I still have neck pain today but not quite as bad.

So I am going to look into the stretching and swimming (not a good swimmer, but will try to be one). The neuro doc did not mention PT. (is that unusual)? He just said see how you do the next few months. He was adamant about no surgery, no traction and no chiropractor. I would be so grateful to hear from anyone else with this type of problem(s). I am hoping I may be able to gain some relief if I start out doing the right things, or at least be able to talk with people about dealing with pain, and such a change in your life. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sorry you've gotten so much worse lately. I have a lot of the same things you do (it's in my signature) and my NS did want me to have PT. I started yesterday. I've suffered with this for almost nine years on and off and constantly for the past eight months. I have terrible arm/elbow pain. I thought I had tennis elbow but they say its from my neck. The headaches are the worst I think. I don't know how much longer I can deal with them. I have no pain meds other than flexeril and neurotin which do nothing for my pain. I hope the exercises help you. Don't let it go too long. PM me if you like. I like having others to talk to. Family gets tired of my complaining I'm sure! Take care
  • Sunny, sorry about what you are going through. I am still kind of in shock about the whole thing and in some ways reading on the Internet makes it much worse.

I am just trying to deal with everyday things like the computer, reading, TV. All seem to be on the wrong level and increase pain. I am hoping this may improve things if I work on that. How have you handled everyday activities to reduce pain and not make it worse?? Like pillows? Reading in bed? Sounds so minor but it is a big deal.

It does sound like we have things in common.

The headaches are bad, mine have just started and I can tell that it will be pretty unpleasant since they are getting worse. I intend to start exercises, maybe acupuncture and making lifestyle changes asap. Today I am just in a daze and the neck pain is bad. I feel kind of fuzzy and achy and I feel badly for my husband. He seems kind of dazed, too and I hate the idea of anyone having to help me with this. Don't want to complain either!!!!

Do you ever get pain or fuzzy/burning in the front of your body? Or is the arm/elbow most?

I take Advil, Advil PM and some Vicodin (try to keep it low). Both help but usually only for a couple of hours. I may get fish oil capsules.

I have only had this for a month (although hand numbness was few months), and i am sorry you have had to deal with this for so long. Did you have treatment before now? Is this the first PT? I can't imagine. I will be anxious to hear about your pt and traction. My dr. does not want traction, chiro and especially not surgery. I am going to get a second opinion in a couple of months just to hear other options or opinions (may be none.)

I wish you well this week with your new therapy!!! Yes, PM is fine, either is fine. Thanks!
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    The back of my neck up to and including my ears burn really bad most of the time. I feel like my head is being shoved down between my shoulders. Do you feel that way? Like your head is too heavy? I can't explain it but it just feels like I'm always carrying a heavy weight on my shoulders and it just wears me out.
    This is my first PT. I've been doing the exercises for years though. At least the ones I can do without it killing me. I'm so tired of this. My pain level is about a 7 right now and it's early yet!
    I agree about the second opinion. I'm just afraid if I go to an ortho now they'll think I'm just asking for surgery you know? I just want to stop these headaches!!
    I hope you have a much better day today. Take care.