Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

work after microdiscectomy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I had a microlaminectomy and discectomy (L5,S1) 1 week ago. I had experienced horrible sciatic nerve pain for about 3 weeks prior to that. I had a 9mm herniated disc that had also fragmented. That awful pain was gone when I woke up from surgery, and I was discharged the next day. The only instructions I received were to not drive for 2 weeks and stay out of work for 2 weeks. I was also told to walk 2-3 miles per day by week 3. I'm 42 years old and I teach school. I have been more tired than usual and my back is tender, but that's about it. I am feeling guilty about not starting back to work next week. Should I just relax and enjoy the time to heal, or just go on back to work. I haven't been able to find much on the internet about the right time to get back to work or even why I'm not supposed to drive. I was just wanting some words of wisdom.

• Hi Margo,

If I were you I would rest! I had a microdiscectomy at the same location one month ago. My leg pain was completely gone after the surgery and all of sudden returned at the 2 week mark. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary was walking and resting as instructed and my surgeon thinks it may have reherniated. In the first month or so you can do basically nothing and end up hurting yourself.

Don't rush it and take care of yourself!

• terriblethrees,

I appreciate the advice. Now I can feel better about being "useless".

• Every case is different, but I can remember being winded just doing the dishes......and this was a couple months out.
    (I had a micro-d at L4-L5 and L5-S1)

That disc is very vulnerable in the weeks after surgery.

I admire your desire to get back to work, but take care of you first. It might be labeled "outpatient" or "micro", but it's still a serious surgery.

Are you doing any physical therapy?

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008