Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why does some people can be operated and others can't

maset22mmaset22 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
I am so frustrated with pain all over, wondering why my doctors are choosing so conservative treatment like pain management. The pills work but, I am still in pain and just been alive and not living, starting with my cervical lordosis at C2-C3 diffuse disc bulg causing affacement of thecal sac at C3-C4 a disc osteophyte complex, inpinging on the spinal cord. C4-C5 disc osteophyte complex causing central spinal stenosis and impinges on spinal cord. C5-C6 broad base disc osteophyte complexcausing mark effecement of the thecal sac impenges on spinal cord, bilateralneural neural foramen narrowing of C5 and C6 disc spaces. There is fusion of T2and T3 vertebral bodies, double scoliosis, multilevel degenerative disc changes with spinal stenosis
The L5-S1-,L4-5 and L3-4demontrate degenerative facet joint disease, stenosis is demonsrated at thesa level bilateral L4 saphenous nerve +5 very severe, L5 lat femoral +5 very severe
right S1 sural nerve +5 very severe. wow. I cannot sit back too long, since my back feel like an open wound. This was all congenital so the doctors have me convince, taking kadian 100 wtice a day oxicondon 15 three times a day Cymbalta 60 and to try to sleep trazadone 150 twicw a day.
lorazapam for anxiety and much more for different coctail. help Dan

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry that you're in such pain. I don't know why your doctors haven't suggested surgery. Usually they want you to try all conservative treatments first. How long has it been since you got the diagnosis? Hope you feel better soon.
  • My Pain stated in October 05 But really I got home bound for the last fifteen months. I am going to see other explanation from those doctors.
  • I'm sorry to hear how much pain you are in. Usually the doctors will try the most conservative treatments they can first. If they can get a patient stable and comfortable without surgery they will usualy go that route. They may be afraid of causing more harm than good.
    We can't really say for sure what a doctor is thinking.
    What all have you tried in the past? Perhaps it is time for a second, third or fourth opinion? Sometimes it takes a fresh set of eyes on the picture to help.

I hope you get relief soon!
  • You also have to remember that surgery has the potential to cause as many problems as it solves, especially when so many levels of the spine are involved.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    Even though spinal surgeries have come a long way just in the past 10 years, having any surgery that involves your spine, discs and spinal cord needs to be taken very seriously.

With the onset of "back" pain, most doctors will start the conservative treatment plan. Only a 'knife-happy' doctor will go with surgery before trying other measures.

There are so many conservative treatments available and many of them could be enough to correct a spinal problem and avoid surgery. But patience is needed. It may take months of these treatments along with varied medications to control and manage a spinal problem. To me, those months of waiting are just a small blink of the eye in terms of the big picture.

Its only when ALL the conservative treatments have been tried and perhaps each more than once, that surgery becomes a necessity.
    Now there are situations, when a disc in impinging on a nerve root, that having surgery sooner is better. Whenever nerve damage is involved, the quicker you can eliminate the cause of that damage the better off you will be.

Let your doctor(s) try different methods. Be glad that they are taking that route.

Now reading your post along with the severity you describe, I would seriously consider a second opinion. I have often said on these forums, when it comes to spinal test results, the words mild and medium are something that can be worked with, when severe comes into the picture, many times aggressive action is what is required.

Also, I would just be up front and honest with your doctor and ask them WHY surgery is not an option? Even with severe spinal problems, they may be other underlining problems that would prohibit surgery.

Good Luck and ask the questions to get the answers you need.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You have documented your journey in detail, one question if I may? Why no to the injection in Nov. 07 Wishing you well and thanks for the aye opener. Dan
  • I might have been thinking that surgery is a cure all. As I think back from were I begun your words are valid. I remember one of first doctors, we did not see aye to aye, because, He wanted to go to the knife right away. that has been two years more or less. Now look at me thinking about the knife so cavalierly. Yes, my spine has deteriorated since then. But thanks again, I will ask, listen,and learn.
This discussion has been closed.