Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery Expenses, Wow @ the cost of the implants

JakotsuJJakotsu Posts: 212
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just got the bill in for the hospital.

Total Cost: $157,000
$130,000 was for the titanium implants

My surgeons bill was $17k

Never realized how expensive the implants were. Outragious.

• OMG!! Please tell me you have insurance for most of this!! Very scary what health costs...
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • The hospital I work for went into private insurance, where they pay out the claims, so coverage was already 90% since I had the surgery there, and it appears they covered 100%, bill said I owed 0 and insurance cov was 100% :D

Of course tomorrow I could get another bill lol.
  • I also received my bill. ALIF (OR + 3 days in hospital, surgeon fees not included) was $105k. I have insurance, I don't know what I owe yet.

They itemized it.
    I am fascinated.
    The plate and 5 screws were $13k, and the carbon fiber cage was $10k.
  • My partial shoulder replacement was only $28,000. Still glad I have good insurance!
  • I had my last two surgeries at an outpatient surgery center. I was not there for more than 5 hours either time. They billed my insurance $135,000.00 for EACH surgery. They got paid $75,000.00 for each. My doctor billed $37,000.00 for the surgery and on the 6/2008 surgery he was only paid $1,800.00 by my insurance. We appealed and lost so far. The insurance is denying the 12/08 surgery but we are fighting that one too. I will never understand these costs and how insurance decides who to pay and how much.
  • Im heading to germany for a 2 level ADR with what is considered the best ADR surgeon in the world and I was quoted $27,000 all inclusive!! It is reported that Germany has the best back surgeons and the best care and the best everything, why is it they are only 1/3 as expensive as the US? I dont get it. Really makes me wonder if there is GREED or perhaps OVERPAID people in the US system. We all know that americans cannot afford the cost of medical care much less the skyrocket insurance rates. $100-$200K sounds completely outrageous and rediculous to me. But then again, Im not in a position of expertise to judge. I just know other countries often deliver the same quality everything and cost less than 1/3 as much.

• IMO the insurance companies/HMO's are mostly to blame.Drs have to overcharge because they only get a small percentage of what they bill back.Most Drs will accept what the insurance pays as payment in full-but the bills look outrageous.
  • Just to show everyone how different health care is in different countries...

I'm an American, but i've lived in Ireland for 16 years (long story! :D ) In Ireland, the government provides public health care via taxes (I'm in a 42% tax bracket - i think... and the lowest incomes are on about 28% - i think). There is still private health care, which allows you to jump ahead of public patients basically... and get on shorter waiting lists. The irish health care system is a disaster area for a hundred differet reasons, but compared to many other countries it also has its advantages.

Hospital care and surguries are free for public patients, you "pay" for visit to doctor offices and then for prescriptions, but there is a med reimbursement scheme, so you never pay more than €100 euro per month for meds in any one family. As a private patient (i couldn't wait 1 year for the op!! i'd have lost my job - we have 6 months sick leave here if you are in a permanent job which i am) I'll pay the NS's office fees €200 per visit, and my insurance pays 100% of the rest. The bill... i'll never see one... the down side of all this is with my "health"... i feel like i'll never be able to move back to America because of all my "pre-existing conditions... but that as they say... is another story!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD