Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Awful Burning Pain on Lower Back only when Laying Down

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
My Pain is getting worse. It started with severe muscle spasms everytime I got up from laying down. My back would lock up, I'd be hunched over in Pain unable to move or stand straight. After 1-2minutes of slowly stretching upright & holding the Bed, I was finally able to stand straight. Once I started moving the Pain dissapeared. WIERD. Once I lay down again and got up This Cycle would repeat itself. Now when I lay down I get an Awful Burning Pain on my Lower Back. I awaken everynight around 2-3am bcs the pain is so bad. It feels like Heavy weight on my Low Back on Fire. My Pain seems to getting worse as the night continues. Once I get out of Bed after about 5-10 minutes and move around the Pain dissapears. I still feel a dull ache of normal back pain through the Day but it's bearable. The Real Pain comes only when I lay down or get up from laying down. WIERD
MRI, XRAY, Blood Test, Neurological Exam. Drs suggest No findings as to why I'm geting this Pain. MRI showed Moderately Severe Disc Degeneration L5S1, Epidural Bulge, Bone Hemangioma,
XRAY:Normal, Blood Test showed Vitamin D Low
I'm sched for an Epidural Injection but afraid of this Treatment & Risk may not help,
advertisement

Comments

• Usually the injections are diagnostic in order to narrow down the cause of your pain. I did get temp relief from facet blocks and epidurals which led to getting a rhizotomy which was tremendous help. I have arthritis in my facet joints and go through exactly what you describe with the back locking up and not able to straighten up. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
    edited 12/18/2015 - 4:58 AM
    spinal stenosis ..i have the same problems that burning wake me up at 3 am every night .if you lean forward does you pain get better? and does leaning back make it worse.?DDD is a common problem sometimes it give pain and sometime the person does not know that they have a problem.have you tried a TENS machine .they can help with pain try the acticare its a top end machine and you can use it on your spine .
    good luck
    STRAKER
  • I have the same pain.The only difference is my back doesn't lock up. The burning sensation in my back and groin wake me up out of my sleep and it seems to lessen when I get out of bed..I always have it to some extent with no diagnosis yet. I don't have stenosis. I do have sacral cysts. My Dr gave me Ambian 12.5 to help me sleep through the night so I get 6-7 hrs with no side effects.thank God..
  • spinal stenosis ..i have the same problems that burning wake me up at 3 am every night .if you lean forward does you pain get better? and does leaning back make it worse.?DDD is a common problem sometimes "quoted from STRAKER"

YES!!!!! That burning pain is terrible!!! I get this many nights around 2am for me. Just terrible for those of use trying just to get a few hours of sleep!!! I feel that burning type pain sometimes when I am driving in a car. Drives me crazy! So, yes I can sympathize with what you all are saying. Funny..STRAKER....never thought how leaning forward does help to take pressure off or something...
  • Nothing shows that. I just had an Emg done. My Nerve and Muscle Function was Normal. I heard that an EMG is a good Test to check if you have the Spinal Stenosis. I don't think that's what it is,, I think for my case leaning back makes the Pain worse. (laying down or getting out of Bed extremely painful) My Dr. says I have severe disc degeneration L5S1 & that could be causing the Pain. But after research I'm starting to think it's my Facet Joints or Worse my Spinal Bone Hemangioma that was found 6yrs ago. I requested an MRI & had them check to see if I still had a hemangioma there from 6yrs ago (to see if it's compressing on nerves). Recent results showed no hemangioma just Epidural Bulge & Severe Degenerated Discopathy on L5S1 & mild multilevil degenerative spondylosis. I demamded a second look at the MRI results,, came back they did find a hemangioma. HMM could this be causing this Pain?? The more and more research I do,, I'm thinking it's my hemangioma growing or cxompressing on the nerves. Laying down makes the Pain much worse. Drs. don't understand why laying down causes this severe pain....Is laying down putting pressure on this hemangioma or pressure on my facet joints. Every night my Pain seems to get worse. The burning went away but I still have this deep dull ache that is extremely Painful.
  • i'm sorry you have to suffer this, but i'm glad i'm not along... i think i have pretty much exactly the same diagnosis. is your pain on one side or it's symmetrical... mine is on both side now and i cannot lay on my back... the pain is excruciating... i cannot sleep... what do you do to help yourself?
  • its horrible and every time ive been to a doctor they cant find anything. I havent been able to sleep in my bed with my wife for years and its put a strain on our relationship. not fun... if i sleep in a chair i can sleep for a while but i toss and turn the whole time. my insurance is out now and i have no option but to live with it for now. just glad i found a reputable site with others who have the same problem.
  • Lower back injured in 2000. Diagnosed with L4 L5 herniated disc. Injections do Not help. Pain meds did all I did was get addicted. Decided to live with I must fast forward here. Decided to live with it but recent mri showed L3 compression on nerves creating more narrowing of spinal cord. Only sleep in bed 2hours in the chair 3 hours Mri on 12.-11-15 showed a lot more degeneration. I have come to the conclusion to have surgery will see a neurologist after 3rd of January. I can no longer live in this condition something has to be done immediately. I will take any suggestions any email conversations in anything someone can tell me to help me get through to see the surgeon. I am sorry for the long post but I have very little friends I can talk to about this most people know that I have a back problem but they don't know how severe it is my doctor I recently saw said that it is pretty bad and a neurologist which involving the nerves will only be able to alleviate this pain I will end it here for now but thank you and I will continue to read everyones post pertaining to my illness thank you
    JOIN ME AND WE CAN RULE THE UNIVERSE
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,140
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

moderator, ~~savage

• Hi, I know your post is from 2009 but I have the same thing going on and was wondering what it turned out to be?
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.