Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain with no help from doctors

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
hello everybody new here but maybe somebody can help or give advise. i have a really complicated case that i can't explain or the doctors.it all started on the 23rd of january normal day for me at work.i run a concrete pump well of course that day it just happen to get stopped up so i do what i am supposed to get the clog out.worked on it for about 1 hr and 45 min ok got the plug out some pain in lower and middle back. ok no problem used to that because of what i do for a living.well about 10min after i get to pumping i feel a pain in my back not like i had felt before and my chest felt like a belt or even a girdle was being tighted aroud it. i go to hospital by now the pain is unbearable and my legs are numb. they do a series of test tell me i am dehydrated and that any pain i am having was from a panick attack.well this does not go away and by teusday i am worst off wife takes to hospital because i can not focus remember what day it is or my kids names are very weak. they admit me to hospital. i go thru a series of more tests from ct scans to mris spinal tap blood work i mean the whole nine yards.they come back and tell me they find a herniated disc in the thoriac spine and some abnormality in the L5, but they do not beleive this is the problem. I get nero doc to see me for about 5 min and tell me he has no idea what is going on because with numb legs i should not beable to stand i geuss me having to hold on the bed to stay up does not make sense,anyway now i see a physco doctor two of them they say that it is not stress. they believe it something in the spine or brain. Now i see a internal doctor who says it is not ms or Guillain-Barre Syndrome,no cancer or whatever else they where looking for. he did tell me they i had a white blood cell count that was high, but that might not mean anything,so they send me home with hydrcodone and ibuprofen tell me if i do not get better by a week to see my family doctor and make him do something.well week later no better still in pain legs still numb walk like a ninety year old man with cane back is swollen and things in back are moving feels like muscle except they send pain into chest and stomach really annoying.go back to doctor family he says that is a thing called transverse myelitis this may be problem.ok so we start with some steroid treatment prednisone tab 10mg three times a day come back in a week see him so i do this still no change now family doctor has no idea what is wrong says to stop with steroids tells me he wants a second opinion from a different nero sets me up for the 26th of febuary tells me to keep taking hydrocodone and cataflam he just prescibed.ok well no me and my wife are about to lose our mind because one i am the only one who works in the family workmans comp can;t decide whether this a work related case or not employer is lying to workmans comp saying i had lightheadness and dizziness but they where not there when this took place. so we start trying chiroprctors for answers still no help.things are only getting worst i go bathroomwithout even knowing it vomit for no reason have mojor headaches at the spine where it meets heads. i don;t have a clue what's going i know that before january 23rd i was perfect played with kids dogs excercised on a regular bases i was a normal person no i don't know if any one can please let me know. thanks so robert

• Hi Open,

Just wanted to check something with you first, you mentioned that now you were going to the bathroom without knowing it.... is that a symptom your neuro knew about, does your regular doctor know about it? when exactly did that symptom start?? The reason i ask is that it is an important symptom and may influence people's advice.

Thank you,
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • sorry you are having a rough time.and this is just a shot in the dark...have you been checked for an aortic aneurysm? i dont know your age but some of the symptoms that you have put down as the same as a leaking aneurysm.lower back pain and chest pain with leg weakness my mum had her repaired but she complained of the same symptoms as you..dont worry if you are below 45 its very rear to have one at that age as is GB syndrome!
    hope that you can get a diagnosis dont give up ..go to see another doctor and get another opinion..it took me over 2 years to get my thoracic outlet syndrome diagnosed
    good luck
  • i have not been tested for a aortic aneurysm um i am thirty years old. i do appreaite your help and input any thing is better than nothing right now. thank you very much
  • yes the nero and doctor knew i was having problems with the bathroom they both explained to me that the body makes changes when something dramatic happens to it and that this should go away if not to ;et them know.
  • Ok, it's good they know... bladder and bowel problems can be a sign of a serious difficulty with your nerves/spine and typically means you get straight onto the doctor or go to the hospital. SOunds like the 2nd opinion with the NS is the way to go. there is a lot of info on this site, and many people who've been there as they say... and can try to answer your questions and offer support. Hang in there!!
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • I appreciate the pushing. The last time we were in the ER though I was told this was all in my head and said i must be under stress. I think they laughed at me on the way out. I really dont wish to subject myself to that again. Thank you for your help.
  • I'm sorry you're in the midst of this chaos. It sounds like you got the total work up at the hospital. Did anyone correlate some of the symptoms with the thoracic herniation? Did the MRI show spinal cord compression? That would explain a lot. The only one that can make sense of all this is your neurosurgeon. I hope he can pinpoint the exact cause and get your treatment underway. Hang in there and please keep us posted. Take care
  • " Findings:There is maintenance of the vertebral kyphosis. The marrow signal is within normal limits. No geographic marrow lesion is identified. There is loss of disc height and signal at T7-8. Disc contour abnormality with left paracentral disc protrusion is identified which indents the thecal sac and thracic spinal cord. The thoracic spinal cord is other wise intrinsically normal. No cord edema or thoracic cord mass is identified. No enhancing spinal canal mass is seen.

LEft paracentral disc contour abnormality which indents the thecal sac and thoracic spinal cord at t7-8.:"

This is Robert's wife. I am posting for him. Earlier this evening he was trying to keep the puppy from going outside, and ended up hurting/twisting his back even more. It shot sharp pains in his back, and his chest hurting yet again on the left side. Last night he threw up all night long, and he just did it again this evening.He has been throwing up and not telling me. But I have noticed it and told the doctor. He did not seem concerned. We have been told to wait and see what the neuro says, but we are not holding our breath for answers. I was wondering if any of you had any idea what we should be doing. The family doctor said that because the predinisone did not help him, that basically we should just focus on pain management, and physical therapy, but have yet to be able to tell us what is causing the pain, or what we need to be rehabilitating . Does anybody know of any docs in SC, that might be able to help us. Or any suggestions of what type of doctor we need to be going to. The last neuro that saw my husband trumped this up to stress because of inconsistencies in symptoms ie, weakness in legs but able to walk. He really has something going on, and it is scary to see him like this.
  • The mri findings are in the next post. After the cat scans and mri, we had a chiro do x-rays on top of that. They were done last friday, and the chiro there said that the L4-5 had a compressed disk? can't remember the exact terminology, but dude ended up being a quack job in it for the money, so I am taking the x rays tomorrow to my regular chiro (long story). He saw the area on the mri and said I could argue that that might be causing the probs, but he said that it did not explain all of the symptoms. i dont know. Nobody can agree on anything. One doc says herniated disk, the other says no.
  • guess what everybody it only took them a month to figure out what was wrong me pretty sad. and to think i was begining to think it was just me. i was wondering if anybody has dealt with this that could give me a little advise before i go see the spine doctor on monday so he can tell i have to have surgery.

thanks for your help
  • Robert,
    With the difficulty with going to the bathroom or rather the problems controlling going, I am surprised that the ER neuro sent you home. He is/was an idiot in my opinion. I am guessing that the new neuro is going to tell you that you need a fusion in the thoracic area? Your cord is indented, which to me, means that surgery is warranted. Make sure to find yourself a good thoracic neuro surgeon and not let just anyone touch you. It may be that the symptoms were dependent on your positions and certain bending or twisting movements worsened them, while others might relieve them somewhat.
    I wish you and your wife the best of luck with your new neuro. Please let us know how you make out.
  • I didn't get a chance to read this until you got your diagnosis. I am glad that they figured out what was wrong with you. I agree with Sandi, I can't believe they disregarded the bathroom issues like that. I've always read that if this happens you need to go to ER ASAP.

Robert, you have a very caring, loving wife. You are very lucky to have someone care enough to log on here for you to find some answers. Please be sure to let her know how much you love her and how much you appreciate her.

I hope you start feeling well soon. I've read a little bit about your condition but don't really know too much. I'm sure you've been doing your research on it and if you haven't, there is some info on this site to get you started.

Take Care and keep in touch with us to let us know how you are doing.
  • I am so sorry for what you are experiencing and the suffering you are enduring. My first thought is - can you go to a different hospital? And a different ER in the future? Please don't use any of those idiot doctors to operate on you. Whomever you use, make sure you feel really good about it.

Cauda Equina Syndrome is very serious and is often an emergency surgery in the ER. Also cannot believe you were sent home. The sooner this is taken care of the better to prevent long term damage.

The pain you must be in.....my heart goes out to you. I hope they can get you fixed up and back to new very soon. But please take the post op instructions very seriously. With your job, I don't know how soon you will be allowed to return. It is imperative that you not bend, lift or twist until further notice. At all. No dealing with the dogs, no bending to put shoes on, nothing. Keep that back straight - this will help prevent further damage as well.

Hang in there and keep us posted,

• i thank all you for your help and support. i do tell my wife everyday several times that i love her. i neglected those things till all this happened. yeah i agree with you about the doctors this is my fourth one i'm just happy he finally gave me some info. i really thought it was me. my visit is tommorrow i will keep everybody informed. thank you all again

• Hi Robert,
    I am just checking back to see how you are doing and if you have any new info since your last appt? I hope you are doing well and glad you do take time to tell your wife how much you love and appreciate her.
This discussion has been closed.