Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Travel Advise

poolladyppoollady Posts: 154
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am scheduled for L4-S1 Fusion with hardware surgery on March 24. I need some advise about an unplanned trip.
we had a death in our family and we have to ride about 10 hours in our mini-van on Thursday and then back on Sunday. We will be staying with family when we arrive.
My pain level has been very low for the past 3 days, I don't know why but I am not questioning. I have not done anything different so it is a blessing for some relief. Usually my pain is in the low back, radiating through my bottom and radiating down my legs to my feet. Both legs worse on the left. My heating pad has been very helpful. I saw a post where someone had a heating pad that plugged in to the lighter in the car. If someone knows where to get one, please let me know.
I would appreciate any other ideas. My husband was not too exicited about taking me, but I really want to go. Unfortunately, my cousin that passed away was only 63, and she died from a urinary tract infection that did not go away and it turned into sepsis, it was such a shock to my entire family.
Thanks so much,

• I saw one on ebay. I'm sorry about your cousin that's terrible what happened. If I find a link I will help but you have to be a member. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I can order from ebay. I just don't know if I can get it here before I leave on Thursday. If you find the link that would be great, I will look on ebay too. Thanks so much.
  • You can get a DC to AC converter too, if you cant find a car heating pad quickly. You plug them into your lighter outlet and then you just plug it in like normal. They can be found at Walmart and other electronic stores. Of course you need to check specifications and make sure it can handle the volts of the heating pad.

Good Luck and have a safe drive!
  • I'm sorry to hear all this :(

Trying going to amazon and look up "heated car seat." Those are basically seat covers designed for car use - for those who don't have the nice heated seats in fancy cars :)

If nothing else the thermacare things do work quite well and get me through work many days.

• I appreciate everyones ideas. Especially the heatwraps, I did not even think of those. I keep them on hand just in case I need to use one but it just did not click until this post.
    If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. I will not be leaving until Thursday afternoon.
    Take care,
  • I don't think people realize how serious infections are. My husband got a urinary tract infection from the catheter during his cervical spine surgery. He too got sepsis, and could have died if he would have waited any longer to go to the hospital. I am sorry for your loss. Glad others are giving you helpful advice.
  • poollady, I would just do what Shell74 suggested and get a power inverter. I have one, and we use it for a lot of things when traveling. It plugs into the cigarette lighter, and you plug a regular two or three pronged power cord in the other end. Voila...you have the same as a traveling wall socket. Then, you can use it for anything that has a regular power cord to when traveling (stereo, computer, cell wall charger, etc. Good luck with your trip and I'm sorry for the reason you're going.
  • http://cgi.ebay.ca/Seat-Topper-Massager-w-Heat-for-Back-Shoulders-Thighs_W0QQitemZ300293018648QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item300293018648&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1215|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318 I looked under seat topper warmer. It's $9.99. But try a dept. store to guarantee you get it right awy. Walmart should have. Or Walgreen? Haha Can't remember the stores I used to go to. Sars is a good store to check also. Gool luck. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am leaving tomorrow and appreciate all the advise and sympathy.
    We had a change in plans and I am riding in my Moms Navigator with heated seats, I am also taking the heat wraps. Of course all the other items that we all have for our back issues.
    Again thanks for the good ideas.
    Take care,
  • Sorry for your loss. Zachback gave some great advise. Definitely make sure to take frequent breaks - to stretch your back, legs and prevent blood clots too (may want to consider a baby aspiring). The thermawraps or air-activated charcoal heat pads are great,sometimes alternating cold packs one hour with heat the next hour can help. I've also found that sitting on a "memory" foam pillow helps cushion that lower back for long trips.