Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back to work

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Good evening lovies,

Tomorrow, I am back to work after just under 3 months at home. To be honest, I don't feel quite ready to handle the responsibilities required of me just yet. On the brighter side, I am very blessed to have a position to return to, to have the opportunity to work. I am part time this week until my CT scan next Monday and then I will find out if I am going to be full time or not. Wish me luck, and keep me in your prayers.

One Love,

• Hey Stephanie,
    Just wanted to say hi and see how the first day of work went. I'm sure your tired and exhausted. Just take it easy on yourself. It will take awhile to get back in a routine and back into the swing of work. So try not to stress to much. But congrats on getting back to work. i hope you had a nice day at work today. Hope all goes well on the CT next week as well. Take care and keep us posted.
  • Quite honestly, I was beginning to think no one had read my post. Thank you so much for responding and wishing me well.

I worked just around 5 hours today and it was nice to get back to talking with people, in stead of my 3 cats, lol. Of course this is the first time that I actually got dressed in more than jeans, put on shoes other than slip ons, etc. I did get up and walk for 15 minutes, twice.

All in all it was a good experience but I was happy to get home to some meds and my heating pad. :)

One Love,

• I saw that you went back to work on myspace also!!! WTG :).

I know that it is hard on the back to sit for too long, getting up does help a lot. That is also great that you are walking as much as you do too! I want to get back into getting fit again. It just hurts to even trying to do a crunch!!!!

Anyhow, I am happy that you are doing better. I hope that it just gets better!!!!
  • That's great you got back to work. I hope it gets easier for your pain levels after work. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know how hard it is to get back into the groove of it all. It takes me longer to get dressed now and at the end of the day I am spent. I know it will get better. Keep us updated. Try updating this daily so we can keep up with you. I totally missed your post somehow and I would have never done that to you. You've been so supportive of all of us here and you deserve no less from us. I'm glad that you are part time for now. I should have done that my first week back and I probably would have fared much better. Just remember that you can do what you can today and don't push too hard or your back will push back and we don't want that for you. As always you are in my prayers for your continued healing.
  • You're so right, lucky to have a job to go back to - my company is going through layoffs, like so many, and here I am on medical leave not knowing what the future holds...

As Tonya said, please keep us posted on how its going, how your energy is, I'm really curious to know. (I saw your post the other night but I was too tired to respond - sorry - catching up now!)
  • Congrats on going back to work.
    I will be having surgery next week (fusion of L5-S1). After reading the responses and seeing that it took Stef. 3 months to go back to work I am getting a bit nervous. My job mainly requires me to sit (computor) with some walking (home tours). Should I expect to not "work" for 3 months? Thanks
  • Thank you for your well wishes, and I know that you can get back into walking. Crunches hurt me like a you know what too. :) In time, in time.
  • I got out of the habit of getting "dressed" in the morning even when I was at work full time before my surgery. I was in so much pain that I quit curling my hair, applying make-up, etc. So I really have been out of practice for a while. It takes me a good 2+ hours to wake, do my stretches, check my emails, do a minute of meditation and prayer, and get dressed. That is with showering and washing my hair at night (which is not my preference). Ah well, we adjust and adapt don't we. :) Thank you for your kind words.

Today, I was a little more achy than yesterday. The right side of my lower back was throbbing and the muscles near my shins are sore. That I attribute to new shoes. I gave all of heels away to goodwill since i can't wear them. Instead I got a pair of clarks. They are pretty comfy but different and I hafta get used to them. So does my back and my legs!
  • I have been so blessed in that my company decided to keep my position available to me. My assistant stepped into my spot while I was out and we hired an extra admin temporarily. My staff did such a wonderful job and I so thankful to them and my company. Very blessed indeed.

One Love,

• I went back to work yesterday and OMG. I am sore everywhere but the surgery site? My lumbar area is good but above it is sore. I have a strenuous job and I am also happy to have the job after 5 months. I was off before surgery due to pain and spinal instability. Good luck to you and best wishes.
  • I know what you mean about "getting dressed" if that's what we call it anymore. More people now see me without my hair curled and my face without makeup than ever before. I was never vain to begin with but I at least had the energy to blow dry and curl my hair and put on minimal makeup but no more of that. I have a morning ritual much like yours and I'm 20 minutes late for work every morning. They are getting used to it. I eat lunch at my desk to keep from feeling guilty about being late. But just keep moving as much as is humanly possible in your condition but remember still that this will pass and we can get our makeup back on one day soon. I hope you get to take it easy over the weekend. If you have the chance please take it and don't feel guilty about it.
  • I am sorry to hear that you are having so much soreness. I am pretty sore myself! My PT told me that it will be a few weeks before I stop feeling such soreness. I hope that it is sooner for both of us!

One Love,