Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leaving in the AM for another surgery- Updates

griffggriff Posts: 496
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

I'm leaving tomorrow for the big city to get my pre-op done for my TOS surgery on Tuesday. I've been busy as heck trying to get everything set for my mother and my dogs so that I don't have to worry about them while I'm gone. I should be home by the 27th. I have a parade of family members coming to care for me after surgery, so different than the last 2 that I had. At least I'll have someone to keep mom out of my hair!

I'm not looking forward to this at all, I probably have more apprehension than I did with my cervical surgeries. Guess I was more stupid then LOL! I'm trying to stay positive about this and know that it's one more steo to "freedom".

I'll be down to one arm for awhile but will look in on the boards and try to respond when I'm able. I'll be thinking about all of you who are in pain and wishing you better days.

• Good on ya!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery.

• Hi Griff,

My surgery is 1 week from today... and i feel your apprehension :S I wish you a successful operation, a speedy recovery, and a pain free life :)

Take care,
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • best of luck to you sweetie , you will be in my thoughts and prayers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take care....Miki
  • Hope you have a speedy recovery. What is TOS. Sorry but I had lumbar and dont know much other than those types
  • Good luck ... I wish you a speedy recovery.
  • Griff,

Good luck with surgery and hope this solves your issues. You have been through so much. So wishing you a speedy recovery and moving forward to a new freedom. Good luck and will be waiting for your post as soon as you can.
  • Hi Griff,
    I pray this will be your last surgery, and will take away all your pain. Good Luck and wishing you the very best :X O:)
  • Good luck tomorrow with your surgery Griff....
  • I hope you have a more sense of peace as you go through this. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You are always in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you ALL the best and that this is finally the end of your surgeries. All our hearts go with you. >:D<
  • I'm out of the hospital but not home yet. I'll post more when I can type better, right now it's torture!

All went well and I'm healing nicely. Thank all of you for the good wishes.

More soon (hopefully)
  • Glad the surgery went well and I hope you continue to heal nicely. Looking forward to the detailed update.

Take care,

• Great news! So good to hear from you. I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to send my best wishes to you before you left, but I've had my little granddaughter with me, so I'm very happy your surgery went well and you are doing okay.

I know you don't need to be typing much and you really need to be resting and getting better anyway, just please know you are in my thoughts and prayers for many better days ahead.

Take care,
  • I am happy to hear you are now over the surgery and began recovering. Don't exert yourself, but when you are able to, please give us a detailed update.

Best wishes,

• I'm so glad that things went well. I hope your home very soon and can give us another update very soon. We've missed you! HUGS!!!!!! >:D<
  • I'm in pretty good shape. I was in surgery for 7 1/2 hours and they didn't have to do repair to the veins, thankfully. My nerves were another story- I had scar tissue everywhere. The surgery is PAINFUL, far more than either of my fusions, but the hospital staff and my docs have made sure that my pain is well controlled. The pain in my neck has gone down quite a bit but I still feel like I'm being stabbed in the back. Breathing is hard, I guess it's normal to have the lung on the surgical side partially collapse and I have to do deep breathing and hard coughing to get it back to shape. Sounds easy but if you've ever broken ribs you know what I mean.

My biggest problem is that I've lost all of my fine motor skills on my right hand. I can't open a chip clip or tear open a packet of sugar. I have grip and arm strength (such as it was before surgery but no finger strength. It also seems to be getting worse instead of better. I'll talk to the doc about it on Monday.

Okay, that's my limit for typing. I'll be back again to tell more progress but will have to be satisfied with just reading how all of you are doing!

Hugs back to ya'll,

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Nice to hear you are doing well, must be painful if it was more so than your fusions. Take care and with time we hope you get your strength back soon.
  • take care and heal up quick! prayers are going with ya!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I'm so so sorry you're having to go through this. Please let us know what the doc says on Monday. Hopefully this weakness is only temporary. Your lung collapsed??!! That makes me really sad. I know how strong you are though and that you will do more than your share to get well. I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for you this morning.
  • I haven't been on in quite a while,but i'm sorry i missed your surgery.Hope your starting to feel better and you don't have anymore problems healing from this surgery.keep us up to date.i'm glad there keeping your pain in check also.its bad enough going through surgeries but having to fight doctors for pain meds. on top of it all is terrible. take it easy,relax and enjoy your down time. ;)
  • I am going to PT and then for blood tests today before I see the doc. Hopefully I can go home if he pulls my drain out- I'm going to tell him that HE can keep paying our motel bill if he wants me to stay here any longer!

I have had much more pain than I did Friday and Saturday and am looking forward to just getting home into my own bed. I can't rest here, I may as well be in the hospital. Keep your fingers crossed that I'm on my way today, please!

• Fingers crossed and toes too! Best of luck!
  • I hope by now you are on your way home. I have to tell you that I was searching the internet for revision surgeries and lo and behold but who do I find but Griff! Some really old posts of you and your husband snoring away in a hotel room the night before your surgery and you with an IPod. So tell me. Are you still using the IPod? In reading it it really made me realize what a journey you've been on and yet you stick around for people like me who don't know what they would do without you. You are a testament to courage and hope Griff. With all my heart I wish you all the best from this point forward! >:D<
  • You don't really know me, but I've been following your story/updates. I'm glad you're doing ok. My thoughts & prayers are with you.

• Monday morning was hectic. I had to pack the hotel room and shower, which is a feat unto itself with a drain still in my incision, to be at PT by 7:45 am. My husband lost the keys to the truck and I was no help- I tried to look under a chair, hahaha!

The p-therapist, who has a lot of special training in TOS, was very concerned about the loss of my finger grip and strength. Apparently it's my whole arm but my fingers were alarming. She said that she rarely sees this complication. Lucky me, eh? She gave me a slew of home exercises to do including several for my hand, and told me to walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes at a time 3 times a day. Seems easy enough.

After getting blood drawn to see if the coumadin is at a theraputic level so I can stop the injections of lovenox (it itsn't) I saw the surgeon. Actually I saw the baby surgeon- he's the surgeon who will eventually take over the practice (I don't call him that to his face LOL). He looked me over and asked all the questions and told me that it was highly unlikley that I would be going home- the doctor never lets anyone go until at least 12 days post-op. When the doc got in he removed the drain, remarked that I was healing at a pace that he's never seen and gave me his blessing to go home. Of COURSE I gave baby-doc a little smirk. My doc said that I have broken the record for shortest hospital stay and shortest time for an out of towner to be released home.

We went back to his office where he said he had something for me. He gave me my rib! I haven't opened the envelope yet but there are instructions in it on how to "cure" it. Maybe I'll make some jewlery out of it if I can get my fingers to work. Perhaps a broach...then at least I can put it back in the general area where it belongs.

My amazing friend Oriah, who never posts on here anymore, hint, hint, laughed and asked how long it took me to type these last few posts. It takes me FOREVER but it's worth it when I get comments and encouragement from people like Tonya and Amy and the rest of you who have been rooting for me. If this experience helps just one person then it's worth the time. Amy, if you need to talk about the TOS experience just ask. It has answered a lot of my symptoms that I attributed to my spinal problems. My cervical stuff is still there but the line is becoming more clear.

Now all I have to do is my rehab and find out what to do with the rest of the 23 hours of my day spent on my booty with my arm on a pillow. DVD anyone?

• You hold the nomination for being Amazing after everything you've been through! :) Thank you for the compliment though.

Hope you do finally get some rest now that you're home. I know you will not sit still for long even after having this serious surgery. You pave the way for many of us to look at and deal with our issues by your encouragement and strength.

Take care of you
  • I KNEW I'd get you out of your hidey hole Oriah! You are an amazing woman with a lot of strength and information to share. Get to it! This board needs you as much as I do.

I am not sitting still, I'm downright bolted down most of the time. This is what post-surgical really is and I'm going to live it to the fullest. This is the first surgery in which I've had help in the house and boy is it needed! I can't open my "sippie-cup" (my iced tea tumbler) by myself. I can't carry my dinner plate. I'm a dang child again and I hate it! I need for my fingers to come back and fear that they won't. Everything is a challenge now and I guess that's what I need.

• Oh, yeah Griff, I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions/ things to ponder...in time, though. Get better 4 now. Mine's not a for sure thing, yet.
  • Hidey hole.. LOL

Glad your in good spirits and working on letting people help you. I know how hard that is! (especially family)

So how is the physical therapy coming?
    Are you typing easier now?

Take care of you