Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had Pre-Op appt.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went to see the pre-op nurse & all went well. I had to fill out a 3 full page {front & back} questionaire. Then went over to the hospital for an EKG, lung/chest x-ray & finally had lab work done.

It all went well & quite fast surprisingly. Can't complain about that. My surgery is call L 4/5 Posterior spinal fusion and decompression. With the diagnosis being- L 4/5 spondylolithesis with foramenal stenosis.

Anyone else with the same diag.?

Now the last thing I need to do is Wed. I go to bank my own blood for surgery. I have to go to the blood bank twice before surgery. With a week in between the draws.

Oh & I also see my primary doc. on Feb. 27th too, almopst forgot about that appt.

I'm so glad they offered the blood bank deal to me. So that's about it for now. I'll keep everyone up to date. My surgery is scheduled for March 4th. :)

My surgeon told me he has a bed reserved for me in ICU the first night. Is this where everyone spent their first night???????????????

Hope everyone is doing good.

• Good luck to you, janis i hope all goes well, Yes my first Surgery was an L-4 L-5 and S-1. i was up and walking right away .of course they make u get up right away, i have made many mistakes on the first surgery, and now am learning everyone here is so helpful.. yes the process is fast, just go in there with a positive attitude, keep your faith and never give up, yup it will be hard at first but you can do it!!try to stay active in the mean while good luck, take care.
  • I had fusion of L4-L5,ans S1 with discetomey. I had bed right next to nurses station. They do put you in icu sometimes because of the amount of care you take right after. Mine was right next to it so they could srr me.
  • I had a L2-L5 PLIF (Lumbar fusion) with L4-L5 being removed totally, spacer placed, and my own bone removed from my spine crushed into a paste and placed inbetween.

My surgery took awhile so didnt get up that first day, but that next morning i was up twice daily during my two day hospital stay.

I didnt go to ICU but some MD's will put people there if they have certain issues, older in age, etc.

You'll do fine ;) If I can handle my entire lumbar spine being fused practically you can handle yours!

Two weeks post op doing great, keep positive and DO AS YOUR TOLD! I tried to be lazy and not sit in a chair, was told real fast whats up hehe.
  • Hi Janis, I had same op, no stenosis, but for herniated discs at same level. As for recovery from L4/L5...They'll want you to get out of bed and move a bit... its tough! But the more walking the better, so just keep at it! It honestly gets a little a bit easier to get up everytime, and you'll be walking the halls in no time (slowly :-)). I had help around the house for about a mmonth after the op. I remember moving slowly, but i was moving. My pre-op pain was gone btw, but certainly post op pain from the surgical sites was present. Muscle spasms sometimes too. If my memory is correct, i was off regularly scheduled pain meds at about 3 weeks... but i still needed meds about once a day or so until about 8 weeks (maybe twice a day ) My recovery was exactly what i'd been advised, and i was able to go back to work at 3 months post op. i was ok. tired, adjusted my seating/standing as i rebuilt up my work related muscles, but it was ok. That op gave me my life back... i was able to be me, be a mom, work the way i like to work... i minded my back +++ after... i never weeded the garden!! never did the chores that required extensive back breaking work - DELEGATION is the key to life!! But i played sports, went horseback riding, paragliding, climbed rocks!! once i felt ready!! i'd say i got physically out there.. about 2 years after the op. And the last advice.... KEEP WALKING!

Good luck with your op!

L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • i get my surgery - tlif fusion L5-S1 on March 5th..go into hospital on 4th, so we can compare notes!

Good luck, and speedy healing tc
  • Our surgeries won't be long now Shazza. Just a week away & I can't wait for it to be over with. Good luck to you & keep in touch.

Be well, Janis