Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 MRI Results

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670

I had fever around jan 5 and during a vomiting session i got a kind of pull in my left leg followed by a tingling / numbness in my feet, My calf muscles started aching when walking for 100 mtrs or so with pain increasing and was given nuric m by the general reqular doc for 3 weeks after 2 weeks pain while walking continued to increase with shorter distances and i was referred to a nerosurgon who suggested a mri.

The MRI came with the following result "Left paracentral extrusion of the L5- S1 Disk with extension of the herniated disk material into the left lateral recess. It compresses the Thecal Sac and left Traversing S1 nerve root."

Was suggested total bed rest for a week, my condition has worsened drastically since the bed rest i am not able to walk more then 10 feet or sit also now for 5 mins with my leg at 90 degree, now being suggested a injection in the spine.

What are my alternatives ?
What is the right way to sleep?
Will my condition worsen?
Is the situation permanent ?
Should i switch to a orthopadic?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• But with a herniated disc like that affecting the nerves/thecal sac it is tricky. You can also go to chirogeek.com(I have no connection to the site) it might give you a little more info on what type of herniation you have if you're unfamiliar and also just a great site in my opinion to browse.

So clearly answers to your questions are my opinions/experiences only and you always should do what you and your doc feel is best.

Your alternatives and frankly I feel should always be done anyway is to get a second opinion asap. I feel for something like this a neurosurgeon is the best way to go. This is what they spend all those extra years training for an ortho on the other hand must have a fellow in spine surgery in my opinion do be doing any back surgery if that is what is recommended by your current doc or your second opinion. Even if surgery is or is not recommended I think a second opinion is always a must. You can ask around to find someone not affiliated with your current doc or your insurance may give you one.

I think however you are comfortable sleeping is appropriate again that's not a bad question your doc may have a preference. Generally if it hurts don't do it. You can stock up on pillows and find a comfy position ;)

You will read online anywhere that Yes the condition can worsen and it takes a bit of time for the situation to be permanent. We all must be our own advocates and be vigilant with our own care. I would not do anything to aggrevate what's going on even though from what it sounds like you don't feel up to it but if you did no heavy lifting for example may aggrevate and other suggestions you might ask your doc.

If any of your neurological symptoms like numbness, tingling, calf weakness, etc. worsen or continue to worsen CALL your doc or if you experience any increase in severe pain call as well.
    Don't panic-your under a MD's care and sounds like your very informed w/good questions. You said you've gotten worse, have you called the doc? if not pls do & because of the neurological things going on he should reassess you in the office.
    Good luck!!!

• it sounds like you will require some sort of surgical procedure to remove the foreign matter on your S1 possL5 nerve route.like the previous post ..you could do with seeing a top neurosurgeon for an expert analysis of your recent MRI scan/ good luck
  • when my L5-S1 nerve problem was at its worse being in the water and moving around was the only thing that felt good. Is a warm water pool an option for you?
  • I know your pain too.

After my disc prolapse, I had a cortisone injection initially. Unfortunately this did not work for me, but I have heard of other people who it worked wonders for. My next step was surgery, which did help.

Finding a comfortable sleeping position is difficult... often a pillow under the knees can help if lying on the back, or between the knees if lying on your side can help.

• I have been advised further bed rest for 10 days. This time not even to sit for food. and given eliwel 10 (Amitriptyline hydrochloride)

I was also told that if 1 week of total rest does not help then bed rest will not solve it.

The Doctor asked me to try epeduria injection before surgery. He also said there is a high chance I dont need surgery just the injection would do.
  • noticed tingling sensation in right toe since wednesday, though slight. have been to the doc today doc advised surgery (microdisectomy) getting another opinion on my MRI.
  • to hear about the tingling. Sounds like the neurological symptoms are worsening. The big toe is your L-5 nerve. It's good you are getting a second opinion. He will probably tell you the same as sometimes the only way to fix this kind of thing is surgery, a microdiscectomy is pretty simple and straight forward. Not to undermine the surgery as surgery is surgery but I mean in comparison to like a fusion or something.

My mom-in-law had a micro done last year and this year the other side herniated she felt immediate relief but she did have to take it easy for quite awhile.

If your second opinion recommends surgery as well it's a good opportunity to ask what his/her plan for this would be like how long in the hospital-how will the pain be controlled-their activity instructions afterwards-just some ideas then you can compare to the other surgeon then if in fact you decide to have surgery you can go w/who your most comfortable with.
    Please call your doc though still if your problems worsen again and take care of yourself :)

Good luck
  • Had my surgery on 5th march got discharged 2 days latter had some problems urinating due to anestiesia effects.

After surgery have been adviced 2 weeks bed rest with walking as much as possible. no sitting no bending no twisting.

I was slightly disappointed with the surgery I guess i was hoping for a instant full recovery.

After surgery by the next day i was asked to start walking and i started though i was disappointed but others in my familty noticed i was walking straight

I had pins on the whole feet now it is just in 2 little spots still. guess that is why i am walking straight.

Pain while walking is still there.
    noticed new tingling in right toe after surgery.
    Not able to move to squating / sitting position notice weekness while tryin to get on and off bed - This is new.

I would say the pain is at 4 down from 9 before surgery.

• it does take time...but sounds like so far so good. What did you end up having done?
    Why are you squatting? Just curious.
    Your body has been through alot & the weakness should get better as you get your strengh back :)
    take care
  • I had a disectomy done on l5 s1 region where the herniated disk material was removed.

squating / sitting, when you try to get on and sit on the bed my thigh has the strength till around 120 degrees or so then i loose balance / have no strength beyond that to go to 90 degrees.

Have a review appointment on friday.
  • it will take time to heal, you will have incission pain at the surgery site & everything else takes time, effort & a lot of patience. Keep the exercises going as instructed, if they have been instructed LOL!! db
  • thx for posting in response to my nosey questions :H
    sitting is the last but not least and I know most docs I worked for suggested doing so for short periods. let us know, if you would, what they say about the leg refusing to go to 90 degrees? I hope it's improving :)

take care
  • had my review appointment..

Was told to increase the amount of distance i walk and start sitting on a hard chair for a few mins and slowly increasing it upto 20 mins in a hour in about 3 weeks.

Was told to walk for 2 mins after each sitting before lying down.

My surgery site is actually doing very good ... i was surprised that i did not have much pain in the surgery site within 2 days of the operation, i almost forget about that now.
  • =D> =D> =D>
    have a great day

• Had a review appointment on 9 April was told to start swimming as an excersise daily for 20 mins for atleast 6 months.

First few days swimming / getting my feet off the ground of the pool was a very nervous experience. Now ok, noticed I am feeling colder than i would normally feel in the pool may be because of my lost weight on my already skinny frame.

After 20 days i am noticing that my pain is low towards morning but towards evening I have pain in the lower back (only evening) and legs. Legs generally i always have a light pain. Generally I am tired in the evening so also feeling miserable, and all i do is lie down after 6 or so.

Sitting is still a big problem cannot sit for more then 10 mins. Docs advice is to increase it slowly. Can walk for upto 45 mins now at a strech in the morning.

People are comenting on my posture saying I am erect now compared to before surgery.