Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Motorcycleing Riding

claudiacclaudia Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Ha, ok so i am only 4 weeks post opt but just wondering tho with this big Surgery i just had!! Do you guys think i will be back on my Bike one day, i love the freedom of riding for the last year my bike just sits in the Garage!! i know i am way in the early stages, but before surgery i was like at the gym doing the treadmill 5 or 6 days a week !! Doc said it was good that i was able to stay active,, But my Bike i was born to Ride has anyone gotten back on after Surgery? my sister came by and bought me a harley shirt for motovation it did it cause all i do is walk around this house like a mad woman i will need a pedicure soon, lol lol well any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

• Claudia,

It is always a personal choice and as many here the thought of not doing your favourite pastime in the future is never easy and the reality for some. I know you feel confident in your skills and that increased potential of doing irreparable damage on the basis of waiting a little longer a decision one might regret should the unexpected happen. As a group we are and should not be tentative and many wait for some improvement to regain a replay of what they did before. We all need an objective but need to be sensible in assessing the risk, golf was my thing and that has all gone now, I am slowly replacing it with other activity that as you say will never replace what I loved, but am going some way in me being part of that emerging process.

In my opinion you should wait and you know that as well, plan a trip or events and look to the future on the open road, I know it well.

• I have a good friend with a L4-L5-S1 fused and C5-C6 fused. He rides a Harley to work every day and it's a 45-60 minute ride one way with little to no traffic.

He also has two titanium shoulders.

Never say never.

• I know i have no intentions of even getting on the bike this year, i was planning to fly out to sturgis in aug, just for the weekend, like i always say when u feel fear do not get on!! so yeah my mind is made up not to ride this year but as i see the bikes i will be saying boo hoo, before my first surgery in 2006 i rode from illinois to Atlanta now i know that or those long trips gone i now have 10 screws in my back and barley 6 weeks post opt, but u are rite sometimes u have to give up what u love (not Ready tho), but as my bike sits in the garage ... so sad thanks john
  • wow, thanks for that but not going to ride this year hoping next year i will follow all the docs instructions, hey but that did make me feel better!!!u r rite never say never expressway is the best way to go cuz city riding is to much stop and go!!! thank you so much for that glad your friend is better i have titanium in my back 10 screws now sux!!but i do have so much to be thankful for .... this is my second surgery the doc screwed m on the first one!!!
  • Hi Claudia, I have a 2005 road king classic that did not get much use last year. It was just too painful to ride. I had my fusion 9/25/08 where they cut me in the front & back. My progress has been so slow. I sure hope I can ride this year but only if I am completely off the meds. I do not want to chance it on meds. I also love the freedom & just riding listening to the pipes.

good luck & God bless, Norm :H
  • Hi Claudia,

I have a 2004 Moto Guzzi Breva sitting in my garage and I have 4 bicycles in my Florida room and I intend to ride all of them again in the not too distant future. The motorcycle might be the last one to ride but only because of its weight. I am 9 weeks post surgery now and on my 3rd week in PT. Things are going well but the bottom line is we can't do anything until our doctor says it's ok. We are at risk no matter what we do in life, that's why we have to wear those annoying braces for so long, just walking down the street is a risk! If our back fuses as planned it will be just as strong or stronger than it was before the surgery so really the only limiting factors are pain (god forbid) and physical strength. The physical strength has definitely got to be there or the risk goes up and the chances of the doctor giving the green light to ride go down.

Do your PT and strengthen your core muscles and you'll be riding again before you know it!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    You have a great objective in being able to ride your motorcycle again.
    No question that will not be a small feat. Besides the PT and core strengthening that you are doing now, time for the fusion to set and heal is so very important.
    I believe it would be better holding off on the motorcycle until both you and your doctors agree that it would ok and not cause any new problems.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Ron,

Thanks for your feedback. I think we just said the same thing! Like they say...great minds think alike!

• Hi all,
    I am NooB here and almost 1 yr post opt (June 23, 08). Had a mishaps on my 07 Moto Guzzi Norge and totaled it with T10,11,12,L1,2 and L3 fused. I thought I couldn’t ride motorcycle anymore so I sold the other bike that I had at that time it’s a 03 Moto Guzzi Calfornia Tour.

Until I had a long talk with the Doc and he recommended for me to wait for a yr, so I went out and bought me a used same 03 Moto Guzzi California Tour model that I sold but in the different color and now it is sitting in my garage waiting for June.

I just can’t wait to see my Doc on the final checkup, in the mean times I do alots of swimming, fast walking technique to keep in shape.

p.s. Glad to see other Guzzi riders out there :-)
  • I asked my PT yesterday if she thought I could handle the bike again - she actually encouraged me to ride a little bit so as to gauge my progress.

So I climbed back on the saddle last night - I'm not ready for it yet. My back was sore as the trip wore on, nothing exceptional but it definitely got worse the longer I stayed in the saddle. When I woke up this morning my QL was inflamed - something it hasn't been for 3 weeks now.

So now I am resigned to take short trips every week to hash out how well I'm doing. I may just need to rebuild my QL before I can do a longer trip.

I do have a second bike I can try - once I get the valves adjusted, the second bike isn't so heavy.
  • well i had my 2nd surgery jan/09 L-2 l-3 L-4 L-5 s-1 reconstructive.. i walk in the pool and adva to station bike in the morning at nite cannot sleep no matter what the stifness in my back having groin pain again have sum numbness , otherwise the burning pain is gone one of my cags has shifted 5mm but is stable i am finally fusing rods and screws r in tack good boney fusion afte all this suffering i believe in the power of being positive i can walk thank G-D!!7 months po i wanna ride but donot think am ready kinda scared.. i miss my bike and the lil trips but i got my health and i can walk i deal with the pain dr says iam doing good. but i still need a s-1 joint injection the pool hels i ol=nly like power walk and the sit in the hot -tub.. cANNOT SWIM ITRIED GOT 10 SCREWS IN MY BACK MY GOAL IS TO GET BETTER GET BACK TO WORK AND RIDE!!! DO YOU EVER THINK I WILL BE ABLE TOO I DO START MY BIKE NEED AN OIL CHANGE BUT WORRIED ABOUT TAKING IT OUT CUZ OF THE PAI!! HOW LONG BEFORE I CAN GET BACK ON?? I MISS WORK AND RIDING SO MUCH I HAVE HAD 2 SURGERIES IN THE LAST 2 YEARS!!
  • yes you will be back...when your fused youre ready as long as your legs hold you...take it from me ive gone riding with crutches aboard...and i cant walk but my balance is good...love your spirit....best....pete
  • wow thank you i have something to look forward tooo my legs r strong in the pool wlking daily, my back hurts but i have something to look forward tooo my bike.. all my friend just got back from sturgis me jealous but i can walk

you have been through so much and believe me i know that it is hard.
    i always am positive r u still on crutches?? wow cannot believe u r riding yup am fusing this time but i am taking it very easy went through to major back surgeries thank you so much pete maybe next yr