Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe back and neck pain---please help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,

Hope u people reading this message r fine. One of my friend suffering from severe back and neck pain from past 1 year. 6 years before CERVICAL PAIN started and MRI REPORT SHOWED DISC BULGE. She did no treatment , only little bit free hand exercise.. Now her condition is very bad......
In that cervical pain , she completed her studies and job also as a IT professional. Today, because of her pain , she had to resign her job.... She can't sit for more than 1/2 hr. She can't bend, can't pick weight, can't travel , etc....She is having severe lower back pain , and also cervical pain is still there. Her financial condition is very bad, lot of doctors shown, nobody could find the exact cure.

Her latest MRI REPORT showing the following finding -

I feel very bad for her, can anybody show me some light of hope , so that she gets relief from this lower back and neck pain.

• Hi Preety,

I'm very sorry to hear about your friends condition and that she's had to quit work as a result. Has your friend seen a neurosurgeon? or an orthopaedic surgeon? If so, what have they said? the fact theres posterior osteophytes causing nerve compression... i would wonder what they'd say? Lots of people with similar symptoms go to physical therapy, use heat/ice, and/or take alot of different medicines prescribed by their doctor such as anti-inflamatory's, nerve pain medicine, pain killers, etc. what has your friend tried so far....

Take care
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • I posted a question without introducing myself - sorry.

I guess I have been dealing with back pain for my whole life, I just didn't know it.

I was doing fine until 2006, when my feet started tingling. I had an MRI and an EMG, and was told I had slight degenerative disc disease - nothing was said about scoliosis (which was at 17 degrees), and the report said "no stenosis". I was told to lose weight (I have lost 35 lbs. since then) and to go to PT. The PT just put heat on my back for 30 minutes, so I gave that up.

We moved back to Colorado in 2006. I just sort of learned to deal with my tingling feet. However, in Jan of this year, I developed sharp pain radiating out to my "left flank". After another MRI, I am now facing a diagnosis of degenerative disc disease, 27 degree scoliosis, stenosis, and the beginnings of arthritis. The MRI shows my lumbar area as a twisted, snake like mess. Plus, my left leg is now 1 inch shorter than my right.

I have been on Percocet since Feb 3rd, and (after 3 opinions) I am scheduled for lumbar steroid injections on Feb 18th. The doctor doesn't know how well these first injections will work, and I may need facet injections. I also may be facing back surgery down the road.

I have been pretty depressed with this diagnosis. I am (was) a fairly active 55 year old who has now been told that I can no longer ski or play golf (2 of my favorite sports). I guess I now understand why my skiing was getting sort of funky, since my left leg is now weaker and shorter. But, the golfing was going great. At least I can still bike, hike and kayak (we kayak with peddles, not paddles), but I haven't been doing ANYTHING lately.

It looks like I have a long road ahead - unless these injections can eliminate my pain!
  • Hi janet,

Just wondering are you Preety's friend?? or did you accidentally post under preety's question??

In either case!! Welcome to SH :)
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you are being such a good friend. :X i am sure your friend needs you now. please have a doctor look at the report. :-C please keep in touch and post anytime you need us.. good luck! :D Jenny :)
  • Your friend must continue to search for a doc that can help her. I went through the same type of agony before finding a doc that could and would help me. I wish her the best of luck.
    I sent you a PM
  • Hi Gery,

Any doctor u can suggest....... or home traction will help her ..