Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does neck pain go after cervical fusion?

diamondeddiamonde Posts: 185
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

I'm looking forward nervously and hopefully to my op next week... I've noticed though in the last week or so, that my neck pain - as opposed to my radiculopathy pain - has increased alot. I know that cervical fusion is meant to have more effect on the arm pain... but what about the pain in my neck?? (not referring to my teenage daughter btw ;) ) i was curious how others have found improvement... if any... for the neck pain. I'll tell ya, if i'm stuck with this...egads!! plus unfortunately it'll really impact my ability to work... so my fingers are crossed that you all have good news for me :SS

Thanks so much :D
L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD

• Hi, yes, I have neck pain with bulging discs in my neck as well as pain that travels in my upper arm and into my hand where I get tingling in my fingers.The more I strain my neck, like with computers, it flares up more. I've had 2 cervical(neck) surgeries. First, c5/6, then the above and below went so they did c 4,5,6 and 7. Now my latest MRI shows c7/T1 is bulging and I will need surgery for that. But because I'm not in that much pain yet, I'm going to wait on that one!Neck surgery went well for me both times, sometimes a bit frustrated with how long things take! Feel better, Cher
  • Thanks chercat, sounds like its one thing after another... So after your neck ops... the neck pain was still there? or did it come back later when other problems resurfaced? :/
  • hi

i'm only 3 1/2 wks post op but i will share what happened to me.... the pain changed in some ways.
    the arm numbness disappeared and has not come back. the muscle spasm pain was worse in my trap muscles at first but in the last few days seems a lil better. bicep pain is getting better but gets bad if i lift much more than about 10-15 lbs. but i have a new pain in my neck, even in alignment it's uncomfortable. rotating my head causes discomfort and dizziness. neck fatigues easily without support and that's when it gets most painful cuz the muscles then go into spasm. could that be what's happening to u now? it feels like you have to "get off your neck" cuz your head too heavy??? sounds crazy i know but i don't know how else to describe it. maybe a collar for support might help now? it certainly helps post-op.
    hope i helped. fyi... i never had trouble swallowing or any throat pain at all. my incision never caused anything but minor discomfort. good luck with your surgery.
  • my neck pain left for couple of mo,but came back.now hands tingles and go numb.arm pain comes and goes.my pain is always there again...from a 3 to a 7 but always there.had 2 leavel..456...think 7 is giving me prombles.hope you get to feeling better.
  • Hi Marcia,

What you said...
    marcia said:
    i have a new pain in my neck, even in alignment it's uncomfortable. rotating my head causes discomfort and dizziness.
    Thats it exactly, without the dizziness. The pain just locks my neck. I'm sorry your pain came back... and hopefully it will go as you continue to recover. Any idea about getting back to work? My NS says i should be back in 3 to 4 weeks...

Hang in there!