Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

discectomy or laminectomy?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:28 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hello everyone.
I am 41, and was recently diagnozed with spinal stenosis from C4 to C7 with Cord Compression and myelomalcia at C5-C6. Both doctors that I saw recommended surgery (they said it's urgent but not emergent) and I tend to go for that. But they are offering different procedures - one suggested a three level discectomy with fusion at C4-C7 and another suggested a laminectomy for C4-C7.
I would love any thoughts you might have on it. Thanks! :)
advertisement

Comments

  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Canadian,

    I have spinal stenosis throughout my spine, I had a laminectomy to L4 thru L6 due to narrowing of the spinal canal. I had a discectomy, corpectomy, and fusion of C3 thru C6 due to collapsing of the discs. You need to sit down with your Dr's and ask a lot of questions. Both are major surgeries but a fusion is a lot more involved. Weigh your options and what will benefit you the most.
    Take care and best of luck. Keep us posted here also on what you decide.
    Ranger
  • I am scheduled for a Laminectomy in May. At first the NS thought I would need a fusion L3-4, L4-5 but after another MRI he feels my spine is stable enough and discs seem to be ok so thus the Laminectomy L3-4 I was happy with that decision because the recovery time is 6 to 12 weeks as opposed to 3 to 6 months for a fusion.
    I hope all goes well with whatever you decide.
    Nana Shan 8>
Sign In or Register to comment.