Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Medications
Ultram/tramadol-generic name. Been given this drug for lumbar/sciatic pain. Doctor insists it won't upset stomach. I think he's lieing? Has anyone gotten sick on this drug as I've noticed some it's side effects? If so, how long did it take for your body to get adjusted to it? I know you're not suppose to cut any pill in half...but..has anyone done it on their first dose? I have a very sensitive stomach. Right now having a hard time taking ibuprofen..even half a dose making me sick...but trying to adjust. Can't tolerate tylenol either. BTW: Haven't had any back surgery. Thanks, Cleverlee

• SIDE EFFECTS: Tramadol is generally well tolerated, and side effects are usually transient. Commonly reported side effects include nausea, constipation, dizziness, headache, drowsiness, and vomiting. Less commonly reported side effects include itching, sweating, dry mouth, diarrhea, rash, visual disturbances, and vertigo. Some patients who received tramadol have reported seizures. Abrupt withdrawal of tramadol may result in anxiety, sweating, insomnia, rigors, pain, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, and hallucinations.

• I am taking Tramadol now and I have a VERY sensitive stomach. I have to take phenergan any time I'm given a narcotic of any kind to take. I have had NO issues with Tramadol whatsoever. I'm not left sleepy and groggy and no upset stomach at all. I highly recommend this one if you have pain and stomach issues. (BTW. They even have to give me meds prior to anesthesia because I get nautious. That's how bad I am.)Don't be scared by the literature. It is a very useful drug if you have not yet had surgery and is safer than most opiate drugs. I was glad to switch from Percocet to Tramadol after surgery.
    Hope it helps you!
  • My husband took it once and he stayed gripping the toilet the whole time. Never again will he touch that medicine :&
  • :H I took it as well and i hated it. Itching sweating and constipation! Never again!! :''(

Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • Ralivia SR 300 Mg (slow release Tramadol). No side effects and no upset stomach here, I find it works well and evens out my pain levels daily.
  • I've been taking Tramadol for about 6 months now. I remember feeling itchy when I first started to take it, but as my doc promised, that subsided. I also have a very sensitive stomach. Lots of anti-inflam's tend to make me very upset at my stomach. However, I have never had any problems with the Tramadol as far as stomach upset or stomach pain. That was one of the reason I started on it in the first place. I think though, from what I've read, it seems like every person react to meds various ways. So, I am in hopes that it will be well tolerated by you & give you some relief.
  • Was your hubby taking the tramadol at the same time as the anti-depressant? I see you list Cymblata as a med and many docs don't realize there can be a life threatening reaction with anti-depressants and tramadol. I think sometimes this comes more from one doc writing the pain script and another writing for the depression med, but I just like to get this info out there for all those taking this med.
  • I have taken Ultracet, Tramadol and Tramal Retard but had no side effects other than some constipation.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• No side effects with Tramadol and no relief from it either.
  • I took tramodol er 100 mg. I found it to be highly effective in treating my pain however it caused me to have extreme anxiety when I was on it. The anxiety was horrible and I stopped it.I was so nervous on the med bbut pain free.I thought the pain was easier to tolerate than the anxiety. Bethy
  • I take Tramadol daily, I alternate it with Lortab. I have to eat something when I take Tramadol, though, or I'll get nauseous. So even if it's 2am I'll have a PB sandwich and a FULL glass of water.

Best of luck

"experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."
  • I have been on ultram for 20 years give or take
    my tummy is a picky one.I have slow digestive system and much more. I have never had a problem with ultram.
    naprozen or ibuprohen is not good for the stom. or digestive system.
    I also only take Tylenol in the smallest amount(never the pill itself)usually if its in my pain pill.
    Tylenol is a good booster. but is very hard on the liver and I know what naproxen has done to me. and i need to keep my liver working.
    just my opinion those with touchy tummies / digestive problems.those meds out there for that can and in my book or opinion will/can make it worse.
    I have had ever test and surgical procedure done for digestive problems some more then once. ...if anyone wants to no more just email me or p.m. ladybug@patsy now
    hugs to all patsy
  • my e-mail ladybug@patsy.com anytime i love to help
  • Been on this for years now and the only side effect for me is that it keeps me awake if I take it at night.
    Can take up to 2 hours to work on occipital pain, if at all.
    I find it doesn't stop all types of pain, so if it hasn't worked after 2 hours or so I take a paracetamol/ codeine tablet. Usually that does it.
    I take 3-4 50mg every day, 4 hours apart.
    I should add that it is a good idea to take a small does initially, as some people have a very bad hallucinogenic reaction.
  • I to have the same side effect with ultram,I never take it after 12 noon no matter what and that is even after starting neurontin. after all these years it still helps a little but kinda in a different way then in beginning
  • Hi Angie, you were asking if my husband was on these two meds? Actually no, only on tramadol. I'm the one on cymbalta and I take it with Fentanyl and Norco. I took tramadol and hated it because it gave me the willies and had me creeped out too.