Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PCP Not happy/New Med

kyadog115kkyadog115 Posts: 266
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
Had my appt this morn w/PCP. He accused me of playing games and going to another pharmacy and going to a diff Doctor for pain meds. He was Pi**ed ! I explained to him..or tried any,that I had(Have ) a broken rib thats why I went to the walk in clinic and that I didn't go to a diff. pharmacy. I went to CVS,(which I also use)only a different location.

That is NOT going to a diff pharm, they utilize the same computer information. He wasn't trying to even listen. However, He cut me off all fast acting narcotics. Thats fine w/me and I told him so.He put me on 60mg 2x's daily of MSCONTIN(Morphien)I guess.I am in a lot of pain and we talked about my last visit to the New Neuro. According to what he has in his records,the new neuro indicates he doesn't think I should have surgery. I am tolerating pain well. That is no longer true. I see him on the 26th and will ask hm to do a new MRI and go from there. My back(L-5) is killing me, I cant walk long at all. I cant stand to even do the dishes for long. Opinions please?

• I take the same meds for pain. When I do dishes I lean on the counter or take a rest in between. Most herniated disc lumber can't stand for more than 3 minutes. Do some gentle pull in your abdomen excercises for core strengtheing but not too rough. Also ask the Dr what you can do for excercise. Heat is also comforting. I also put a stool under the desk to keep my back supported. I've ordered also from ebay little massage machines like tens. I got 2 for $4. each. I find they help me. I've been told No for surgery by 2 ortho Drs.Good luck I hope you get an MRI to see what's going on. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm glad that you were put on longer acting meds. I am on MSContin but not as strong as you. You must have a really high tolerance due to the other "issue". I don't think mine are strong enough though because I am in excruciating pain by the afternoon so I have to take my breakthru dose everyday.

I wish you the best of luck with the neuro. Sounds like you are making progress even if it is a little slow. You have to be patient with these docs and understand where they are coming from know of your "past".

I am so proud of you. You are doing great with everything. Please don't let getting discourage over this whole ordeal make you slip backwards from the progress you've made.

Take care and as always, you are in my prayers.
  • Michelle,
    Thanks for that!

• I'm sorry you've been having a bad run with all these doctors. I know this is frustrating, but at least you weren't left out completely in the cold. The doctor acknowledges that you are in pain and gave you morphine. It would have been terrible if they left you with nothing at all. Keep in mind that when they say one pharmacy, they mean one location even if they connected online. After a while of doing things how they want, I know that they will extend trust again once more. Hang in there- use ice, heat, tens unit, and take some Naproxen along with the morphine with the doctor's consent of course. You CAN do this and we're always here for you. Take care