Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain continues 2 years after cervical surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
I had cervical disc replacement at C5,C6 December 06. The neck, shoulder and arm pain and numbness eased at first but never left. My neuro said I should be able to play tennis 6 weeks after the surgery, never happened. 6 months, 12 months, 18 months 2 years, numerous months of therapy pain worsened. Neuro sent me to ortho and he after 6 steriod injections in the shoulder, had a rotator cuff repair and release of nerve impingement. Still 2-1/2 years I still have no pain relief. I take neurotin 300mg twice day, tylenol #3 twice day, amitriptyline 25mg 1daily,naproxen 500mg 2 day,effexor 1 daily, flexiril 2 daily. Medications dont stop the pain just knocks me out! I have never been able to return to any type of employment and have been turned down for disability. Am I the only one out there with this type of issue? I refuse to allow them to go back into anything and refuse to have my L4-L5 done. Where did life go?:''(

• Hi Sabby,

I haven't been through what you have... But wanted to say hi, and welcome to SH. I can only imagine how frustrating your journey has been!! Must say... lil scary for me... i'm having a C5/C6 and C6/C7 discectomy and fusion done in 1 week. It has to be done, too much nerve damage going on... you know the drill i'm sure! But there are alot of helpful people on the site who've been where you are - are where you are- and i'm sure you'll find similar stories in the posts and hopefully some good advice.
    Hang in there!! >:D<
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • It sounds like your pain meds are really not helping Tylenol#3's should be reviewed with your Dr. Sorry now the lumber spine is bothering you too. Take care and keep us posted how you're doing okay? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Diamonde,

I wish you well with your upcoming surgery. But know off the top that the surgery is mostly to prevent spinal cord injury, not pain reduction.

• Hi Sabby, I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble. I was looking at your list of meds and it looks like to me that many of your meds are kinda older ones. For instance, although neurontin was a blessing when they first started using it for nerve pain (it was originally prescribed for seizures), there is now a newer drug called Lyrica. While very similar to neurontin, it does a better job at a lower dosage and for many doesn't seem to cause nearly as many side effects. Amyltriptyline probably works for a lot of people, but it is one of the oldest antidepressants around. There are tons of new ones now, and maybe you should look at some. Tylenol 3, please---, that is really a very weak pain reliever. I believe that even Darvocet is stronger. If you have trouble taking strong painkillers, something like darvocet or tramadol should help you more than tylenol 3, without having to go to stronger things like lortab, vicodin, percocet/percondan, oxycontin, etc... Flexoril, too, is not a very strong muscle relaxer. I have taken it and never had any luck with it. I am now on zanaflex, which works pretty well. I've heard people say that soma is good too.

I would be willing to bet that your doctor is not exactly a youngster. You probably need to talk to him about trying some newer drugs, or you may even need to change to a doctor who is up with the times and knows all the new treatments available.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.