Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had EMG Today

morris8790mmorris8790 Posts: 57
Hi all I haven't posted in awhile because I've not had any new updates until today. I went to Neuro today and had an EMG (ouch!) :jawdrop: due to my herniated L5-S1, test came back positive for pinched nerve. Neuro said I could try ESI's but recommends that I see a surgeon instead because of the extent of the EMG results and the amount of weakness and numbness in my left leg. I asked doc if there was any other treatment also we could try and he said at this point surgery would be best. Any of you have any suggestions on alternate treatment other than surgery? Also I think he is trying to keep me from the ESI's because I had alot of side effects with the oral steroids. Any suggestion would be great! :?

• I had a MRI done today of my Lumbar,and my pain has been when bending over while Im cleaning the house. I also have pain, when I brush my teeth over the sink &giving baths kneeling down.When,I'm lying down and get up I bearly can put presure on my feet. I have pain on the upper part of my left foot. I was wondering what symtoms you have part of your back?

I have Cervical Spinal Stenosis c2-c5,and firt MRI of Lower lumbar.
  • My pain started in my knee then moved down to my calf and foot. I also have the same problems as you when bending forward. My foot pain feels like my feet are wanting to cramp all the time. I get muscle twitches alot. It hurts to wear shoes and my calf feels like I have it in a vice and it is numb on the bottom. I have a bulging L4-L5 and a herniated L5-S1. Do you get numbness and tingling in your leg or foot?
  • You don't want to mess with the nerve issues. I waited a measly 4 months and now have permanent S1 nerve damage. I recently got a spinal cord stimulator because that's all they can do when you have permanent nerve damage. No one knows how long it takes for nerves to be permanently damaged, but I would definitely follow your docs advice and get that nerve decompressed, quickly. You should have no more than 3 ESI's a year as there are really bad side effects. I wish I could go back and react quicker, but I just knew I'd get better. :(

If he mentioned the extent of damage with the EMG, he's worried. Most docs will push injections and anything else before surgery, most times.

Get your EMG results and get another opinion, but don't delay.

Good luck!

P.S. As the numbness and tingling moves down to your feet, the worse it is getting. As it gets better, it will go back up your leg. I have permanent lateral numbness (outside) of hips to toes and have major balance issues.