Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C7-T1 with plate application C6-T1

smpdsniperssmpdsniper Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have surgery coming in two days. I have had the following surgeries:

ACDF C6-C7 with plate application and rods

Anterior/Posterior L4-L5, L5-S1 with cadaver bone in both,

The surgeries all happened in July 07 for the Cervical and October 07 for the lower back.

I was doing great for the past year except for constant lower back pain. All the doctors have said my hardware down below needs to come out soon.

About three works ago I awoke with severe pain in my neck and my left arm was horrible. MRI showed severe impingement and severe neuroforminal stenosist.. Needs immediate surgery which is Wed. Doctor said this time my throat will hurt alot more because he needs to peel the esophagus SP? CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW WHAT I AM IN STORE FOR, MORE PAIN? LESS PAIN THAN BEFORE, HOW LONG IN HOSPITAL? ETC THANKS

• Hi sniper,

My op is in 6 days... so can't tell you from experience, but i can pass on what i've been told... The advice i've been given may be different than your own because i don't have the same history as you, although i do have a previous L4/5 fusion with hardware....

I've been told that i'll be in hospital for 1 or 2 days, and sent home on normal pain meds, depending on how i am of course... That the op will take about 2 hours. I've been told that my arm and radiculopathy pain should be gone (fingers crossed); but any neck pain i've had is less likely to respond to this treatment - but not outruled as a possibility - just depends. They said to expect painful muscle spasms in my trapezoid area (neck to shoulder) as the body has to realign itself to the difference in space after removing my 2 discs etc... they said the pain from the spasms is typically the worst part reported by patients, and can last for a few to several weeks. They said if the spasms didn't settle down in a reasonable time frame, PT should sort it. They said to anticipate hoarsness and swallowing problems after the surgery, but that this should settle down in a few days to a few weeks. they said that only 3 or 4 out of 100 have permanent difficulties with either hoarsness or swallowing problems. I've been told (this i'm skeptical about!) that i'll be able to return to my desk job in 3 to 4 weeks!!, and that i'll be able to drive in 1 or 2 weeks... My NS said that patients tell him, the primary pain (reason you had op) is typically much better or gone, and that the new pain... spasms incision etc, are easier (not nueral pain which is you know what!!). I'm told the incision hardly hurts; unless your getting bone from your hip... hip incisions are apparently quite painful.

Again... i'm like you... waiting on my op... I'm hoping what i've been told is true... good luck with your own op!!

L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD