Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck pain Please help me find an answer?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello I am 25 years old and I have already had a lumbar fusion of L5 and S1. I have been having severe neck pain since I started having the back pain. It starts in the upper part of my neck and it works it self down to the bottom part right in between my shoulder blades. The pain radiates then down my arm into my thumb. It hurts really bad to sit up in a chair, espically like on a stool or in a chair with no back. I have not mentioned it to the dr that I am seeing for my lower back, becuase I am afraid to. I think he might think I am crazy. Is it possible to have something wrong with more then one part of your back? I have not had an x-rays or dignostic tests done on any part of my back except the lower.

To give you a little family history I have ddd and I also have a big family history of that and O.A. And R A. Both my grandmother's and one grandfather have had a lot of fusions, and or joint replacments and around the same age I am until now. My sister and both parents also have a strong history of bone problems.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry you're in so much pain and are so young. I am no Dr or anything but yes you can have problems in more than one part of your back. You should mention it to your doctor and have some tests to see what is causing the problem. I do know how you feel about sitting up...it feels like my head is too heavy for my neck! It does help somewhat to have something to lean my head on. I hope you soon find out what's causing your pain. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Oh yeah, How long since you had the surgery? Those problems may be related to the surgery and the positions they had you in during it. I've seen posts on here where a lot of people have upper body pain after surgery. Just a thought.
  • I had my back surgery on oct 1st and I just found out today that I have to have it redone the rods are not in place. So I have to have another ct scan to confirm.
  • Hey tracker,

so sorry your in so much discomfort! Sunny's right... you can have problems in more than one area of your spine... I do too... I had a lumbar fusion many years ago, and now have cervical problems. I just found out today that i have DDD... Be a shame with your CT scan coming up that they couldn't do your whole spine?? but i guess you'd have to let your doc know whats going on... At the same time, if there are rod problems... maybe thats the answer??? I honestly don't know though... i'd be thinking it's time to talk to your doc... after all, if he doesn't have all the info, how can he treat you properly??

Good luck and i hope your pain eases...
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD