Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI Reports

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
This has probably become one of the most frequent topics raised by new members of Spine-Health.

I need to emphasis to all, that members of Spine-Health are
not medically qualified to provide any type of analysis of
MRI reports. Doing this could be doing an injustice to the medical field, plus it could potentially create problems for the person reading a members review of MRIs

So, please

1- Do not request reviews of your MRI report. That should only be done by your doctor

2- Do not provide reviews of another members MRI report.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Hi Ron,

I fully appreciate the medical disclaimer aspect... but lets face it, a lot of info on the site is passed and shared based on our experiences, so I am confused why there needs to be a particular disclaimer for MRI reports?

There are conversations about conditions, treatment options, medications, addiction, types of doctors, and even suicidal ideation. I do appreciate that SH needs to protect itself from liability; but one could argue the point of liability about many other conversations/postings. I have not come across anyone on the site citing qualifiations as a doctor, NS, or OS,etc... and i do understand that someone might mistake advice as if its coming from a person of skill or expertise; but as i've stated, the same could be said about any number of other postings.

People come here both for support and to increase their understanding about their conditions. So, as to the MRI issue, in my opinion (which i accept is not currently shared by SH) people should be allowed to share their PERSONAL EXPERIENCES of what their doctors have told them... same as we do for everything else... the postings are loaded with "my NS said..." or "my OS said..."; so what is so different about MRI's??

Aside from this, I want to highlight that i really do appreciate your efforts with the site!! but just confused about this issue...

Thanks so much for everything else :)
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    I appreciate your post and want to address your concern.
    I cited MRI reports because recently there have been more new posts from members wanting someone to interpret their MRI reports than other formal medical questions.

Yes, many other posts here are responding to a members question regarding a condition or something that they have.
    My moderator team will step in when a member responds in a manner that seems to be medical facts. I can not tell you how many times, I have had to edit posts and contact the author about NOT providing medical information as if there are facts.

I have encourage everyone to add a disclaimer that any information they provide is purely a result of personal experiences and observations. This does not happen all the time even though it is one of the site forum rules.

We are more concerned with a member passing on information that could be potential dangerous to the requester. We have had several instances of that happening, so we pay very close attention to this matter. I dont want someone to tell a person that has some serious problems that it is ok to go out lift weights, run uphill, ski and more....

MRI's are difficult in themselves. You can have two doctors that read the same films and come up with different conclusions. So when something could be that different to medical professionals, it only makes sense to stay away from it here with non medical professionals
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com