Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pleaseeeeee HELP (pinched nerve)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Okay I need some advice/opinions here on a major issue im having. It's really important. To make a long story short, i've had this weird back pain for awhile now (been going on for MONTHS) It started as a funny pain i've never felt before, in one area on my upper back on the left. It got worse & I went to see m Dr (A new Dr actually) to see what it could be.Basically I went for a few visits, she gave me licoderm patches (which suck) same thing, no help. Recently I went back again because all of a sudden it's like...ka POW. It seems to have gotten SO much worse. it's constant. Burning, tingling, stabbing, itching, cramping, all in rotation. I've been going out of my mind. Basically she and another Dr took a look @ & felt my back again and diagnosed it as a pinched nerve....She gave me amtytriptaline.......which....yeah...sucks too. I scheduled an MRI for this sat, which can't come soon enough b/c i'm scared about whats going on. NOTHING has helped this pain lately. I'm not a cry baby, or weak or a drug seeker....i can take pain, but this is ridiculous. OTC meds do nothing. Today I tried in a non chalant way to see if she may give me something a bit more appropriate for my levels of pain (Not to mention anxiety b/c of all this....insane heart rate, BP through the roof...I work myself up) :( No, I got some new piece of crap medication for nerve pain that I refuse to even bother with.

I wanted to go in and see her one more time before I resorted to the ER....
So I suppose my question is if I go to the ER and be honest with them about how much pain I really am in, tell them my problem and that i'm having an MRI, & my dr won't prescribe me anything that will help or has helped me for my pain, will they be likely to prescribe me some painkillers to just get me through the next few days even or anything?? It seems like it would be acceptable, and I have no other options...HELP! Any experiences, advice, input would be helpful, ASAP, because if i'm going to go it is going to be soon. Thank you!!!!!

• Hi candyheart,

I'm not a doc... but i know the nerve pain of which you speak. I take something called lyrica, which may be what they prescribed for you... or its something similar i imagine. If your doctor prescribed it for you, maybe you should think about trying it. In my experience, nerve pain is different, very different than typical pain. For me, my typical pain meds work only on the pain in my neck and do nothing at all for my nerve pain. My nerve pain med really works for me, it has side effects, but in all honesty, id rather cope with very minor side effects (mine are minor) than cope with that excruciating nerve pain.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your MRI
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • I remember how it was before I was officially diagnosed with 2 herniations in my lower back. The pain was horrible even though my family doctor gave me Percocets and muscle relaxers. I did go to ER because the pain was too much, and my family doc referred me there. Once that pain hits a 10 it needs to be treated right away.
    I would take the nerve medication they gave you for now because it takes more than one type of meds to combat this pain. Do you have pain radiating anywhere, like your arm? Medications like Lyrica, Neurontin, or Cymbalta is helpful for nerve pain. You can also try some Naproxen or Motrin for the inflammation. Ask the family doc if you can have a muscle relaxer if you have painful spasms. However they treat you depends on what the MRI says, and some doctors want confirmation before they give out narcotics. It's not you, it is today's environment filled with stigma against narcotic pain killers.
    Go to the ER if you can't stand the pain anymore. Let your family doctor know so that you can tell the ER you were sent so you get better treatment. They are used to people coming in all the time for pain meds and you don't want to be accused of being one of them. I don't think you'll have any problems really. Just let them know you're scheduled for an MRI and the doctor should take good care of you and get the pain under control. I can't tell you if you will get pain pills to hold you over til the next appt, but from my experience they should do that for you. When I went to the ER the doctor was very kind and he wrote me a script for a week's worth of percocets.
    I know how bad this hurts and I hope your pain gets treated. Again, go to the hospital if it's really bad. You shouldn't be suffering needlessly.
  • I have had nerve pain in my left shoulder blade it's the worst pain I have ever felt now my entire left arm is numb and in pain and my thumb pointer and middle finger re completely numb I went to the ER to get help they have me baclofen and narco 7.5 neither did anything I went back three days later in tears because I couldn't take the pain they did x Ray and cat scan said they didn't find anything I got a shot of Demerol 50 mg and it did nothing for pain so they prescribed me with gabapentin that does not help either Iam at a lose they say narcotic pain pills won't help because it is nerve pain the pain is now wearing me down Nd I left in the same pain I went in for help I feel like they didn't understand the pIn I was in
    Nadine nave
This discussion has been closed.