Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

! week post op tlif L5-S1 2-17-09

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Today is 1 week post-op. When I awoke in recovery I was in incredible pain. I was given pain med 4 times in the iv about 5 min. apart and it eased up quite abit. The pain was managable through my stay in the hospital. I came home Thurs. afternoon. I was on 10 mg. Oxycodone avery 4 hrs and stayed that way until Sun. Sunday I only took 2 and 2 on Monday. None today so far.
The pre-surgery pain I had in my low back and legs was gone when I woke up from surgery. I still have alot of muscle twitching in my left calf and was told pre-op that that would take awhile to go away. I do have pain in the surgery site. It gets less everyday.
Now the really good news!! I walked a mile on saturday, 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon. The same on sunday. Yesterday I did the whole mile at 1 time. I talked to the DR.'s office today and they said to stay a 1 mile until my 2 week appointment. I am very surprised. I didn't think I would be doing this good.
My routine when I got home was this. I stayed out of my bed until night time. I would lay on the sofa during the day and get up every 30 to 40 minutes and walk in the house. At 1st it was 3 to 4 minutes at a time and got up to 10 minutes by the 2nd day home. The hardest thing for me was learning how to log roll and get from laying down to standing up. It was hard and it hurt. Once I figured that out it made life easier. I don't SIT. I'm either laying, standing or walking. I have also wiened myself off the walker. I haven't used it since fri. morning.
Keep in mind I only had 1 level fused. I truly believe moving ( standing and walking ) has really helped. It's still really early but I am very happy with the outcome so far. I'll put up another post in a week. Sorry this is so long but I wanted to give you as much info as I could....




Sign In or Register to comment.