Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

check up today surgery a must tomorrow

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey there i went to orth today for after ESI check up and now need emergency surgery tomorrow. I lost all reflex in right leg below knee and significant loss of muscle strength and control of right leg. I new it was feeling weak but not that bad. I am having microdiscectomy of L5-S1.. Anyone have good return of muscle power and reflex and feeling after surgery....

current symtoms:
severe stabbing, burning, and periodic numbness in right buttocks, hip, thigh, knee, calf, and ankle. Pain is constant with no position of relief.

• Hi zachy,

Heavens, you must be in a state of shock, so sorry to hear your gonna have to have this op, but please God, it'll sort you out. I responded to your other post, my nerve related symptoms disappeared completely (sciatica down leg, stabbing burning pain in back, buttocks), but that was me. I really hope your symptoms are a result of pressure on the nerves, and not permanent. did they do that test on you that tests your nerves electornically, i think its an EMG? That test would show how the nerves are...

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • no i have had no tests him touching and picking my leg up. He says my MRI shows my S-1 completely displaced and thats my problem.along with my spinal cord looking like if you had a pie and removed a third of it is the prussure from disk on it.. Im nervous but he says it will most likely fix me. As you say though i had no clue i would be having surgery tomorrow. not much time to freak out
  • Hi Zach,

Sometimes, when things happen fast like that, it's better, just like you said... no time to freak ou! But if the doc is confident and is teling you that most likely the op will fix you... GO WITH IT!! Just like the other Zach said... having a positive attitude can really help. When i had my lumbar fusion... sooooo many years ago, i had it because nothing else worked. I was in hospital for 2 months!!! and that was before the operation... nobody wanted me to have the fusion, but i had blind faith, only way i can explain it... i just knew in my gut that the op would solve my problems, and like i said, mine worked out really well. So think positive, keep telling yourself "this is gonna work".. "i'll be back" (and no i'm not arnold schwarzennager!!) but be positive... i'll be sending out positive thoughts for you!

Best of luck and keep us posted!

• thansk for the positive support... I will write tomorrow to update post op.

• I hope your surgery and recovery goes well for you. How long did you have the herniated disc? Just wondering if your herniated disc was as large on the first MRI or if this was your first MRI? Take care and hope to hear you got home allright after the surgery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Wow wow wow. this was the best that could have happened. currently have no pain in leg.. surgery took away all symptoms of ruptor. i have 4in cut where they went in and some swelling and bruising with some pain but compared to what i was feeling this is nothing. my dr. was even able to do procedure with out laminectomy. i start walking tomorrow and will update.

thank you to all who talked to me as well as everyone who has ever posted. this forum gave me so much insite and added comfort to figuring out what was going on in my body..
  • Hey Zachy, fabulous news!!! I am so thrilled that your op has given you relief! You must be so relieved... Keep up your speedy recovery B)
  • Praise God you feel much better! How are you doing now with the leg thing? Did they tell you what was wrong?
  • Good to hear about your surgery outcome. I am also a firefighter/emt and had my microdiscectomy on jan 6. It was a breeze except for getting flu like symptoms from a steriod pill they prescribed for after surgery. I to had a quick surgery, saw the doc on a thursday and got cut the next day. My left calf atrophy was bad, lost an inch of muscle. Before surgery I could only stand for 5min at a time before getting excrutiating pain. Today i walked up 9 flights of stairs 5 times and walked 4 miles without a problem. My leg still bothers me here and there but nothing compared to before surgery. I offically start physical therapy tmrw and going in for light duty work on monday. My biggest fear is not being able to return to work, and if i do i really dont want to re-herniate. Hopefully we can both get back on duty becuase ive been out since dec 23, i dont know about you but im going crazy. Good luck on your recovery.
  • HI Zachy,

I was going to encourage you to be so glad you got surgery right away. I had to wait 2 weeks for the Motrin to get out of my body as requested by my surgeon and to get pre-surgery blood work/EKG etc...

But I had the same symptoms pre-surgery and the same wonderful post-surgery results (relief) you had.

Congrats and happy healing!
    ~ Cece