Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I want to give up...already.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Chronic Pain
I turned 21 two months ago. At the age of 16, I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in my low back. Was sent to rehab -- got better.

This last summer I was water skiing (as I have every summer) and reinjured it. I couldn't walk the rest of the wknd or go up stairs the next few wks. I went to see a new doc, one that is very well respected in my area.

An Mri was taken and he diagnosed me with the same bulging disc, but also DDD. Off to rehab once again but no positive progression in any way. Next step was a steroid/cortisone injection. The pain mgmt doc suggested it was my facet joint [I can't bend backwards/sideways], so he injected there. It felt incredible.... for TWO WEEKS! Then wore off.

Next follow up -- the doc says it is my hip and it is subluxated? My right SI Joint has inflamed significantly in the past two months. So off to another injection. This took place two and a half weeks ago. Soreness for this shot in the hip was twice as worse. And he pain persisted.

Last Friday, as I was doing my exercises/stretches like the good little back patient I am, I went too far. I got a sudden sharp pain all throughout my back and upper right leg. I am also getting shooting pains sporadically throughout the day in my glutes, and the pain has radiated from my right SI Joint all the way across. I can't sit in class without fidgeting every 3 min[literally], it hurts to stretch, to wash my face/brush my teeth, it's hard to fall asleep [it's 2:30 in the morning right now]... and I could go on with this list.

But I can't take it. I moved my follow up to this Thurs. If they tell me one more new thing is wrong, I will collapse. I've already been diagnosed with depression since the summertime... it's all getting so hard to deal with, especially while having to work, pay bills and go to school.

• Hey Texasgirl,

You hang in there hun!! That is so much for anybody to deal with, but to be young as well... sometimes life just sucks, but you know what.... you've got to find a way to stay positive!! Dealing with chronic pain is a bit like a race (bad analogy! lol) but it is... in a race, its about keeping pace, staying steady... you don't blow all your energy at the start of the race if you know what i mean? The depression, is an understandable reaction, but you can rise above it... find the small challenges in each day, face them, and feel proud of your accomplishments - like sitting in class! fairplay to you for keeping up your life while you manage and cope with this! This site is very friendly, very supportive, and there are alot of people - and young people too- who are where you are -or have been where you are... so hang in there hun! come here for a moan... i hope you got some sleep... we've been talking a bit in here recently about how important sleep is to managing our pain...

BIG HUG! >:D<
    L4-L5 fusion 1998; ACDF C4-6 2008; DDD
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Hi. I'm sorry that you're having so many problems. I hope you soon find relief for your pain. Just remember, (I know it's hard sometimes) that this too will pass. You will make it through this and on to much better times. Remember that there are a lot of people here to help you, to talk to you, and listen to you anytime you need it. Take care and feel better soon. >:D<
  • Bummer on the continuing problems, sometimes we do all the right things and still come out holding the stinky end of the stick. I can say be strong and hold your chin up, but would you believe enough to fight? its normal to want to feel better and not be able too, Dont let the depression grow at its own pace, fight it every step of the way, fight the good fight, there will be bad days,there will be good days, but the common thread is there always will be days ahead. and being strong enough to face them is key!
    dont give up
    dont give in!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• to give up already! I am more than twice your age and have problems with my facet joints. I went through all of the injections, temp relief just like you. I finally started getting rhizotomys (nerve burn) done and get anywhere from 9-12 months relief. So, don't give up. It can be frustrating trying to find the exact procedure that will work for you but it will happen. I would think that the fact that you got great temporary relief from the epidural is a good sign. At least now they should know what area is causing the majority of your pain so they can concentrate their efforts there. Good luck and please keep us posted with your progress.
  • Firstly, thank you all so much for the support and advice! I definitly needed it for my appt today.

I just got back not too long ago from my doc about the new pain from Friday. My reflexes weren't the best, I had some numbness and also got a spasm while talking to him. We decided my hip is not the bulk of my pain since the diagnostic didn't help too much from two and a half weeks ago.

Today, he treated my L5/S1 [which is the area he treated during the first set of injections before the hip injection]. The first time I think he used cortisone but today he did an epidural.

If the pain doesn't calm by mid-next week, he is sending me to get another MRI. He seemed nervous. I hope these injections work. My left side is really sore, and my right side feels numb. What if they don't work? I'm scared to find out if I did something else horrible to it.
This discussion has been closed.