Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds are wiring me.

hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 182
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Medications
Hi and thanks.

I took pain meds and they always seem to wire me,here it is 2:10am and I can not sleep because the medication so wires me and I am so frustrated the pain is better but now I am wide awake and can not sleep.

Can I ask you all a question, is it better to take pain meds on a regular bases? If I do will it no longer wire me? Because right now I just take it when I need it cause I hate medication and try everything else before I take it and pray what I try will work.I am one of those who has to scream first before I take it.I tolerate pain which is not good but I hate the way pain meds feel. My surgeon always tells me to quite being a die hard and take the meds.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859

It really depends on the type of Pain medications you are using. If its one of the ER (Extended Release) type, then you need to follow the script rules. Normally one in the morning one at night.
    If you are using IR (Immediate Release) types AND the prescription reads PRN (when needed) then you use them exactly like that.
    If your doctor has another schedule in mind, then of course you follow the doctor's orders.

In general, you do not want to wait until the pain is too much to take some pain medications. It is better overall if you take your pain medications regularly.

Any questions, contact your doctor, they will tell you exactly how they want you to use them

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Your are better to keep your pain under control, my pain dr told me to take my pain meds before it gets bad cause it is harder to get ahead of your pain once it has gotten bad. I found that to be the case. If I let it get ahead of me, I have an awful time getting it under control. Hope this helps.
  • maybe you can ask your doc for a sleep aid like Ambien? I am on the fentanyl patches (75mcgs), Norco 10/325 x 2-4 a day...and I too get that wired feeling...especially on day one of the patch! i can't sleep either right now and sometimes the Ambien DOESN'T help!! Most days it does, but tonight is one of those nights that I may have a hard time.

Good luck and maybe look into some help for that. There is nothing worse than being in pain AND being a zombie the next day. it just gets depressing..........
  • It's always best not to let the pain get the best of you,that is why I stay on a schedule with my meds.For me it was all another part of the whole acceptance issue, understanding my situation,and deciding to take control.

There are times at night that I don't get to bed until the wee hours,and I used to think that I couldn't sleep,but recently I've learned that I was FIGHTING the sleep.The reason is because my pain is controlled,and I simply don't want to sleep THROUGH this when I feel GOOD.It's unusual for me to feel this little pain and quite frankly-I don't want to waste it sleeping.

Now I've learned that a HOT shower helps me for a few hours,but I'm wide awake because I shower late at night when all the 'stuff' around here is done,it's quiet and peaceful.My hot water bill is getting really high..and that is a TRUE story!
  • Norco makes me wired. No other pain med seems to do this to me, but norco is what works painwise for me right now(at least it's what I'm trying to wean down to.) Always check with your doc and ask your pharmacist for suggestions, but maybe your doc can suggest something along with the pain meds so that it won't wire you up.

Example: Vistaril potentiates the narcotic effect, helps with itching, agitation, nausea, and helps make you sleepy. Maybe you would take less pain meds and not be hyperactive???

I love Zanaflex at night. It knocks me out but yet is a muscle relaxer. I take less pain meds at night because it WILL knock me out. However, it is short acting which is bad if you want to sleep all night but good if you don't want the zombie/hangover feeling.

Anytime you have pain, once it gets out of control it takes SO much more medicine to bring it under control than if you had taken it before it got out of control. Norco(hydrocodone) is one that I can snap in half, so if I don't hurt really bad but do hurt and know I will be active, I can at least start out with half a pill and see how it goes. I am not advocating Norco for you, have no idea what you take, and certainly not advocating cutting extended release meds in half! :)

I don't know if you take an anti-depressant or not, but sometimes docs even prescribe them for insomnia. Often the first effects patients notice about anti-depressants is that some regulate their sleep cycles.

I think you should start by reading the sticky note at the top of the pain meds forum that gives a brief description of many of the meds we take, including muscle relaxers. Get a couple of ideas, maybe even run them by your pharmacist. Then, take your list of ideas to your doctor. There are so many meds there is no reason you cannot find a good combination for you that doesn't wire you up, provides reasonable pain relief, and yet doesn't leave you like a zombie.

Keep in mind that if you don't sleep, you don't heal. If you are in pain, you don't heal as well. There's got to be a combo out there for you, some kind of cocktail that allows you to have relief, sleep, and not be "drugged up" feeling.

Please post an update so we hear what combination works for you. Everyone is always interested in what works for others as it may help them!!! Good luck to you, look forward to hearing more.