Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

whats next??

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Pain Management
Ok so Ive had all the injections, radio frequency and nothing worked so far. What is the next step that interventional Dr will do? Im also seeing a neurosurgeon in March for possible surgery.

• When all the interventional things did not work for me, my Ortho doctor suggested surgery. It is scheduled for March 24, a two level L4-S1 TLIF.
    I saw on your signature that you were denied surgery 3 times, was that recent?
    It can all be so confusing, this doc says do this and that doc says do that, and at the time they are all so positive that whatever the fix is it will work. Unfortunately, some of us comes to the end of try this and that.
    I hope your neurosurgeon has some answers for you.
    Take care,
  • By insurance co? For what reason. And did you do a state appeal? I was denied 2 times, the second time I did a state appeal. They send it to an independant reviewer, and they review your file. I got somewhere, when I did that. If you want any answers to questions, I have been there and will try to help you. I was at a point where I was so frustrated that I didnt know what to do, but I wasnt willing to give up my life. Hope I can help.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Even when you have been through it all, look at revisiting some of the conservative treatments.
    You want to make sure there is nothing you can do before looking towards surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I was denied by the surgeons themselves. They said there was too much damage. I then went to a very very good Hospital in the Phila area and met with their top guy ( neurosurgeon) he said there was damage in my thoracic back too just from doing some reflex tests. I just had an MRI on Friday and I see him March 2nd. I was wondering why its hard for me to breathe. So for right now I will take my meds, exercise, try every interventional approach. Surgery is my last option. But the pain I have everyday is simply unbearable. Im drowning in it.
  • I have had a ddd since 1977, I was 16 years old when I fell and hurt my back, I was diagnosedin May 1997, with ddd, and was told that I have suffered with it since the initial accident in 1977, I was just 16 years old, in 1997, I was a passenger in a car accident and the most damage was on the same area that I was sat in the front passenger side of the car, a taxi driver was drunk and was helping out as he owned the taxi firm, he was working at his pub that he ran when they didn't have enough drivers so after drinking he got in a car and picked up a passenger who got out of the car, when the accident happened, we were on the main road when the taxi came out of the side road and hit the passenger side, I have 6 grown up children and have as far as I know at least 6 grandchildren, my daughter and I help each other out I help her with the chiuldren and she helps me, when she first learnt about the ddd, she thought it was a game, she was 11 years old and I had to use a wheelchair, some one told her there was nothing wrong with me so she ran me into every rubbish bin and any object that she could find, she did not realise what pain I was in.

Since 1997, I was being treated with cocodamol and I have had hundreds of different pain killers since then, I was given full mobility and low cares allowance, I worked to get myself out of my wheelchair because of the treatment I got from my daughter. so I lost my dla, disability living allowance, as I was advised that I should I should put in for more money to help me, like a idiot I did, I lost my benefits, I get zilch to help me, I was flooded last year and I slipped in the floods, now I am in a worse state to what I was in 1997, and the worse thing is being in a wheelchair and hardly being able to do anything for myself, I have had the treatments, in the last year I have tens treatment, I have had exercises, I have been told that the pain is excelarated by my weight, which is something I cannot do anything about as I am asthmatic,

for years the doctors put me on diets, sent me for exercise with a physiotherapist, the last time the doctor meantioned about me going on a diet, he said to me you are overweight I am going to send you for a appointment with the nurse to help you with a diet and then noticed that he was putting me on steroids to help me with my asthma as my asthma was playing up. I would love to lose weight, but I am confined to a wheelchair due to the pain I have from ddd.

I saw within 3 months of each other 3 different phsyiotherapist who different ideas on what would help me,

There was the excercise that was supposed to help went for a number of weeks, then given a tens machine, the physio felt it was doing me good. after I was discharged from the physio I was given a spinal injection, a cortisone I think he said it was,

The next physio, tried the frequency, I could not stand it, it was put on the higher settings when they thought it was helping they did manual work on my back, she tried touching me and I could not stand her touching me, she made a appointment for a couple of days later, and I told her there was no point me putting myself through the pain as I was unable to sleep I couldn't sit down for long, I couldn't stand for long, I felt as though I couldn't do anything for the painall I felt like doing was screaming but that wouldn't help, I was then referred to a skeletal advisor who sent me to pain management,

While under pain management, I have been put on anti-depressants the dosage that some one suffering from depression is allowed. they can't up that anymore, I am on gabapentine, 1,3 times a day, 500mg. I am on dihydracodiene, 1 3-4 times a day, then I was put on paracetamol 2 4 times a day, and then I was put on fentanel morphine, 50 mg release patches every hour. I also have to be admitted once a month for a lidacaine infusion, the side affects of the infusion is High blood pressure, I have been told a few times that I would be kept in if the blood pressure doesn't go down I would be kept in, the last couple times I have had the infusion, I have had a throat infection that I was put on antibiotics for, last week after the infusion I went back to the doctor and was told I had been treated for the bacterial throat inffection but I have a viral infection and that if I carried on the way I am would of ended up in hospital with pneumonia, and he thinks I may be coming down with the flu although I have had the flu injection, nothing is helping with the pain, I have to use a wheelchair to go out, I am practically house bound, as the ddd, is causing me to have multiple pain points, to top all that I have cervical and lumbar spondalosis. and yet I have been told that I am not entitled to the Dla which would enable me to at least get help around the house. as my ex husband who suffers from diebetis tells me he is worse off than me and expects me to do things for him. I feel as though I am going out of my mind with the pain and I know not many ex husband helps their ex wives but unfortunately that is how life is, I tell him to take things that belong to him home, the last time he wrecked my car, because he said if it hadn;t been for me insisting he took his things home he would of taken the route he did home and the accident wouldn't of happened, it's like when I went to get a car, I had to have the car he wanted otherwise he wouldn't drive it, he has filled my rooms with his rubbish like monitors and other items that you can't move for but he will move them when e is ready, he has 2 cars that I have to put up with, 1 is in the garage attached to my house and the other I have to rent off the council as there is no tax or test on them. he is taking advantage of the fact that I cannot stop him, I rung the council and asked how much it woukd cost to have the monitors shifted, he went mental with me while I was on the phone, the problems is not just with the ddd but also with my ex, who has a tendancy to threaten me when he says I am out of line he has his own home but won't go home, people actually ask him why he does'nt move in, the fact is I wish he would go home and take his things with him, but I shouldn#t be saying this as it really has nothing to do with what is wrong with me.