Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 fusion next week

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:28 AM in Lower Back Pain
I'm post of 18 months after dynamic stabilization of l4 and 5, and fusion of 5 and s1. Progressively went down hill. I've had therapy, injections, patches. on mscontin now and vicoden. Went to a new surgeon . He said I'm a failed fusion. My fusion was done with BMP.
I scheduled in one week and petrified. Any one with encouraging stories after failure to fuse, or the 360 technique...............I could use some help. Thank you!

• :| Hello Pamelaj,I have been where you are now.May I ask whyou changed surgeons? Anyway,failed fusions are not uncommon.I don't want to hurt your feelings but, in my experience if your fuson didn't take then, get an opinion from several doctors.There would be concerned of why fusion failure.Was cadaver used are your own . God Bless you!!I will be praying for you if I may. :|
  • good evening, well i just went through a reconstructive revision surgery L-4 L-5 S-1, doc took out disc never replaced with bone but report said he did, screw stuck in my back bones were bleeding it only took 2 years to find out everytime i went to him he said nothing was wrong he advised me not to seek pain management, humm but i did and thats how i found out how screwed up i was doc could not give injections to much scar tissue was blocking it had 3 opinions all said i need a revision of the surgery plus 2 levels higher, i had every test ct scan dixcogram mris ect ect now i am 5 weeks post opt my muscles in my legs hurt but i walk walk walk, donot even know exact how i feel depressed to go through this again. but i keep walking and hoping everything will be alright friday i see my NS. made a lot of mistakes in my first surgery never got any test or 2nd opinions or notes now i am wiser good luck my friend
  • I started out with a local surgeon about 3 years ago. He wanted to jump into a fusion. I held out , asked for therapy, traction, tens units, etc. Then I was recommended to a reputable Dr in Chicago. He said 5 and s1 should be fused and he recommended dynamic stabilization for 4and 5. I agreed. Surg. was 18 months ago At about the 10 week mark I really started going downhill. Constant pain. He said nothing to worry about. Sent me to pain management. Saw him probably 4 more times and all he would say is he never had a patient like me and there was a cyst like area in the middle of the BMP. He apologized for doing the dynamic stabilization, and had no answers for me. So 3 more months on MS contin, etc, I picked a well know surgeon. He ordered an MRI, and said if he didnt see what he needed, he would do a discogram. Went back and he said I just never fused, and possible that stabilization was causing some of the instability. I don't smoke. I'm thin, and in good health. He felt very confident, and said he was going to do everything possible to make me fuse. The 360, front and back approach, bone stimulator, more walking, and taking a very cautious approach. My Chicago Dr was going to refuse possibly, both levels, but with no hardware, which didn't make any sense for stability. So anyway, after this book, I guess I chose the Dr that was willing to try all the things to work on a fusion. All my Chicago Doc could say, is I've never had this happen, like it was too much for his ego, but he never went out of his way to help me. I thought about another opinion, but it makes sense that I have an unstable spine that needs to be stabilized. Does that make more sense>>>
  • So you had your first surgery and didn't fuse?? What actually was done in the second surg. Did they use your own bone. Were you petrified since you had already been through it. I had to quit my job, and I've been home 18 months. How long were you in with the second surgery. How was your pain management? Sorry for bombarding you with questions. I'm just scared.
  • I had my 360 with hardwear and an artificial disc at L4/L5 in November 2008. I have since gone back to work and all is well. I had so many injections I lost count so this was the last resort. I am so glad I did this because the pain is gone! I wish you the same results and good luck.
  • so Glad to hear it went well for you. Can you tell me a little more about your post op hosp. days. What was your pain management, and how long were you in?
This discussion has been closed.